The End of the Army-Surplus Store

bobgee

Seems all the best stuff is on eBay these days. You just don't find much of anything other than civilian market stuff from government contractors, or relatively worthless nick knacks (at least at the brick & mortar stores).

As a kid in the 50s, I could pack a lunch and ride my bike in a suburb of Los Angeles, CA w/o a fear in the world and my parents thought the same. If I went three miles west, there were two surplus stores w/in three blocks of each other, on the same side of the street. Two missions - buying patches, 10 cents each or 3/25 cents, and going thru stacks of helmets looking for a medic's helmet (my dad was one). I never saw a medic's helmet or any kind of painted one. Then, I would ride east past my house and go three miles the other way for two more stores - kitty corner from each other. Then, I would high tail it 8 more miles east to two other stores. I would get home well after dinner. The smell of canvas still carries itself with me.....thanks for posting the story.

There still exists what passes for the original-style ones, on Venice Blvd at about Overland in Culver City - in an old bank building. Almost everything there is contemporary in one way or another, but they do have a small section of authentic gear and a rack of uniforms.

As a kid in the 50s, I could pack a lunch and ride my bike in a suburb of Los Angeles, CA w/o a fear in the world and my parents thought the same. If I went three miles west, there were two surplus stores w/in three blocks of each other, on the same side of the street. Two missions - buying patches, 10 cents each or 3/25 cents, and going thru stacks of helmets looking for a medic's helmet (my dad was one). I never saw a medic's helmet or any kind of painted one. Then, I would ride east past my house and go three miles the other way for two more stores - kitty corner from each other. Then, I would high tail it 8 more miles east to two other stores. I would get home well after dinner. The smell of canvas still carries itself with me.....thanks for posting the story.

I recently tried to sell off a large lot of field gear and BDU's to a DC area store. I was met with what was to me a shockingly low offer, and declined. That excursion helped me better see the reality of the shape of this once massive industry.

-Patch Adams

I tired to sell the local surplus store here a small lot of East German items as well as a huge box of non patched ww2 era jackets etc.

I was told 'no thanks' while they have KW era pants in the store marked for $40 and East German items galore. Hell I would have taken $20 for it all and you can't tell me someone wouldn't have worn or used or wanted that stuff. Some kid would have been overjoyed to find a nice, ww2 dated jacket.

I think part of the problem is some of the owners like this one have no clue as to what something is or even what people who come in there might want. People no longer go there for camping supplies but that's pretty much all they have.

I did find a ww2 pack board there once... and a few other things. Not much though.

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Tred, would those be the old stores on Reseda Blvd and Supply Sergeant on Van Nuys??

I've tried selling some excess stuff to a local surplus store. Their offer was SUPER low, so I took everything back home and sold it elsewhere. I ended up getting about $300 for the pile. The store offered $20.

I've even BOUGHT stuff from people walking out of that same surplus store who were actually turned away because the store wasn't interested (I checked with the store staff to make sure it was OK).

I've tried selling some excess stuff to a local surplus store. Their offer was SUPER low, so I took everything back home and sold it elsewhere. I ended up getting about $300 for the pile. The store offered $20.

I've even BOUGHT stuff from people walking out of that same surplus store who were actually turned away because the store wasn't interested (I checked with the store staff to make sure it was OK).

One thing I learned is NEVER SELL to a SURPLUS STORE , it's a waste of your time, they always try to act like your stuff has no value and they can only give you a few dollars, they want it for FREE.

avoid the middle man, dont sell to re-sellers, and never tell them how much you paid, they always offer lower if they know how much you paid or where you got it? If you tell them somebody gave it to you , then they will know it has no sentimental value, and you will probably sell it cheaper.

One thing I learned is NEVER SELL to a SURPLUS STORE , it's a waste of your time, they always try to act like your stuff has no value and they can only give you a few dollars, they want it for FREE.

avoid the middle man, dont sell to re-sellers, and never tell them how much you paid, they always offer lower if they know how much you paid or where you got it? If you tell them somebody gave it to you , then they will know it has no sentimental value, and you will probably sell it cheaper.

LOL. Yes, that's pretty much the moral of the story.

The only reason I did it that one time was because I purchased a large lot an estate sale that came with a bunch extra stuff I didn't want/need. I kept what I liked, sold a few other things to recoup some of my costs, and still had that leftover pile. Much of the stuff I brought in was the same as some of the stuff on their racks for $50+, so I thought they might be interested. I was wrong.

I never saw a medic's helmet or any kind of painted one.

My same exact experience visiting Army Navy Stores and flea markets in the 60's and 70's. Now they're all over the place. Hmmm.......

• 5 months later...

I sold to a store once.They are out of business now since the owner has passed.I had purchased a huge amount of Desert storm related gear at a local weekly auction.There were 10-12 tables stacked with uniforms,gear,boots,sleeping bags etc.All new and in the wrap for the most part.Even 30 cots both wooden and aluminum.Mostly the sizes were very small or extemely large.The boots were sz 13-15.Ponchos,boonie hats dated from nam etc

The auction started and they had opened a bundle of desert camo shirts and had 3 hanging up on the autioneers podium.After selling a couple items they gave choice of the military.First shirt sold at $3 and the size was small regular.Sell a few funiture items and back to the military.Another guy bought a shirt at $3.They sold more table items of glass etc and then said choice on the military.I got the bid at $2.50.I asked "any military item"?The auctioneer said yes the shirt hanging up or anything on the tables.I said "I will take it all"...you could of heard a pin drop in the place.One old guy stood up and shouted"He cant do that"!!!The auctioneer said he just did and the sale was choice as stated and any item is for sale.There were some unhappy people but they were not paying attention and their loss.There was so much stuff.I made out well as I think the helpers at the sale were just happy to get the stuff off the tables and back into boxes.Im guessing the count per item was in my favor.Later the auctioneer thanked me as he said it would have taken a couple hours to sell choice and he wasnt wanting to bother with it.

There were 10 budles of desert choclate chip shirts and 10 bundles of pants.The bundles each contained 5 shirt per bundle and the pants were also 5 to a bundle.All still tied with string and tagged.All size small reg.Found out later who consigned the items and he told me they shipped home tons of stuf.Most found in dumpsters as it wasnt wrth shipping back due to the sizes.They had sent back 200 cots.Most all the gear like flack jackets and used sleeping bags were left due to being heavily soiled and the thought of contamination.The extreme cold weather bags I bought were sealed new in the package.There were 4 of them.Anyway What was I do do with 20 bundles of small uniforms?

About 3 weeks later my dad and I went to a gun show we attended that was 160 miles away.I loaded the bundles up and made plans to stop and see the surplus store guy.He had always some odds and ends and had gotten to know him well enough he would let me go did in his storage sheds.We pull into his place and I ask him if hes interested in buying some clothing?He said "what ya got"?I told him bundles of unworn camo.He said bring it in.I said it maybe better to come out and look.Opened the back of dads vehcle and first thing he said was "How much" and the look on his face was classic.He couldnt believe what he saw.I told him they were all size small reg but new stock.Again he asked "How Much"? I said $10 each.He said I cant pay $10 per shirt...I said $10 per bundle.He looked at me like I was nuts.I said look you have a shop and you have customers that range from boy scouts to college kids(he was in a college town)and you will sell these off the rack easier than I can sell one at a time.Im told him I got a good deal and he was getting a deal as he typically got $15 a shirt in his shop for BDUs etc.I said here are 10 budles each of shirt and trouser and you can sell as sets or singles.He didnt hesitate to buy them.He was happy and I was more than happy as they were gone.I made money quick.I turned a profit and didnt get greedy.

I still had more stuff to sell.I sold the sleeping bags for $25 each to guys I worked with.They all camped or did fishing and canoe trips in Canada.They asked me"why so cheap?...whats wrong with them"?I said they are new in the bag nothing wrong at all.They were use to seeing the bags priced at $75-$100 in the stores or in the adds in ShotGun news.I sold everyone I had.Told them if they didnt want them offto the surplus guy or to the fleamarket.They bought a few cots as well at $10 for wood and $15 for aluminum.Sme of the aluminum ones were dated 1968 and like new.

So my surplus buyer was great to deal with and he would always offer me a deal or even do trade.I bought a nice WW1 patched tanker uniform from him once.He kept his word and gave me first shot at buying it when he decided to sell it.I just wonder what happened to the WW2 bazooka he had hung over the counter when the place closed up.Never heard what happened or if there was a sale.

• 1 month later...

Great read. Its the same situation here in Australia.

Yep,

my first ever job was in Melbourne in 1976, part of my first pay went on a USN PAL MK1 knife for $20 still wrapped in grease paper and a pre-WW2 French mess-kit for $5..... The place was in a basement in Elizabeth St..... still have the mess kit.

I remember that they had some USMC and army patches, wish I bought some!

If ever in Dover DE...Visit the Dover army navy...second and third floor...a trip back in time...a true AN store..as stated it survives on law enforement and such...but still has true surplus

I talked to the current owner of one of our larger surplus stores and recalled when they had so much authentic WW1 and WW2 surplus items from sailors hats to full operating theatre equipment and even a yard full of jeeps in crates. He said one has to consider that WW2 ended over 70 plus years ago and no surplus really exists anymore. Both world wars generated an enormous amount of surplus, one of the reason the US Army went to the dress green uniform was due to the fact almost everyone was wearing surplus uniforms to various degrees, partly as returning servicemen continued to wear items as they were durable, and partly due to the vast amount of cheap surplus available. Those days are sadly gone, though I did exchange emails with an eBay seller who said his father had accumulated a warehouse full of WW2 items and they were in the process of clearing up piles and piles of WW2 uniforms. Mind you, this is the same guy who said he had many size 40 regular AAF OD dress jackets and failed to bother to get back to me with even one, so who knows how factual his story really was...

• 6 months later...

Doing some digging for the Mattydale show (Syracuse, NY) and came across this box I purchased around 35-40 years ago. Hopefully the shipping address will bring back some memories to some of you guys who attended shows in the East & Midwest during the 70's & early 80's or had the pleasure of visiting his store in Indiana, Pa. I can still see the tables of boxes full of books & surplus, his cat and of course Doug himself. The S&D Bookstore was certainly a great experience.

post-161300-0-25050800-1522955925.jpgpost-161300-0-59955200-1522955968.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Back in the early 70's me and kevin ( forum member patches) used to go to local surplus stores in our neighborhood. There were about 4 or 5 around still with nice stuff. Woodhaven surplus might ring a bell a few people he moved to Nevada in the 80's, I remember walking with Kevin to a store on freshpond road in Glendale queens, when we were about a block away we would start running trying to beat each other there to get the new patches the owner would pin to a board on the wall. What fun and memories. There all gone except for SS firearms which is mostly for civil war reinactors.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Back in the early 70's me and kevin ( forum member patches) used to go to local surplus stores in our neighborhood. There were about 4 or 5 around still with nice stuff. Woodhaven surplus might ring a bell a few people he moved to Nevada in the 80's, I remember walking with Kevin to a store on freshpond road in Glendale queens, when we were about a block away we would start running trying to beat each other there to get the new patches the owner would pin to a board on the wall. What fun and memories. There all gone except for SS firearms which is mostly for civil war reinactors.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Talked about here, this episode.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/252790-1972-sunoco-nfl-football-player-stamp-album/?hl=%2Bfresh+%2Bpond&do=findComment&comment=2037815

Tred, would those be the old stores on Reseda Blvd and Supply Sergeant on Van Nuys??

Yes, to both

I forget the name of the other one in Van Nuys, and the two on Sherman Way in Canoga Park

There used to be a pretty good store in SV - Jim Blue's Army-Navy. He had a half-track parked in front. He moved to Las Vegas and his store was there for a year or two and then it was gone, too.

There was one in Pacoima on Van Nuys Bl but that was an all day bike ride by itself.

• 2 years later...

e6df751011451482723b84f8e7fd5ec3.jpg
This is a famous one that’s soon to go the way of the dodo.
The owner over the years has acquired the whole block as shops went out of business and now he’s sold up to a developer.
It’s getting raised and hipster shops and apartments built on the site.
Ah Silverlake
Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakkasan187

Owen,,

I remember that movie.. "Falling Down".... And in the post above "Location # 14,, The gentleman walking past the store with the gym bag reminded me of Michael Douglas 

Leigh 

I'm still mourning the loss of The Mountain View Surplus store in Campbell that closed 2 or 3 years ago. A couple f shots of my last day shopping there.  There are 2 more stores left around here but they are Army navy surplus mostly in name only.  

Mikie

Surplus Last Day.jpg

Surplus statue.jpg