5th SF Award of Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation

smwinter207

Could a 5th SF guy in Vietnam, who coordinated many assaults with the Riverine Force, be eligible for the Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation?

Thanks

S

Good afternoon. I would say yes. Curious as to what others will answer. Unit commendations from my experience are given to units for a period of time or awarded to an operation in which the unit participated. (My simple explanation.) I would think it would be possible that members of 5th SF participated in an operation for which the Navy awarded a Navy MUC for which they would be eligible.

Here is basically what his ribbon bar looks like. Flew with the air force during a 2 month battle as the battle coordinator. And, as mentioned, did many coordinated missions with the Brown Water Navy.

post-20483-0-95430300-1476392322_thumb.jpg

Good afternoon. I would say yes. Curious as to what others will answer. Unit commendations from my experience are given to units for a period of time or awarded to an operation in which the unit participated. (My simple explanation.) I would think it would be possible that members of 5th SF participated in an operation for which the Navy awarded a Navy MUC for which they would be eligible.

One small correction; unit awards are just that...awards to a specific unit for a specific action or series of actions within a time period. Individual or unit participation in operations, conflicts etc. is covered by service and campaign awards. That said, it would be possible for an Army member to receive a Navy unit award if he was actually assigned to the unit during the events for which the unit was commended. An Army liaison officer for example. The Army would technically have to concur with the award before the Soldier could wear it and have it entered in his record. Also, unlike the Army, the Navy and Marine Corps only award unit commendations to people who were part of the organization during the actions cited, and unit awards are worn on the left side when ribbons are worn, right side when full sized medals are worn. I'm not sure what Army regs say about how to wear Navy unit awards.

Concur. Much better explanation. Thanks. An individual would have to be attached to or a member of the awarded unit to rate the citation. I think this awards rack is certainly feasible.