Experimental and Custom Crye AOR Items

KommandoPost

I found these this morning in a local thrift store.

They're obviously Crye-made. Does anyone know who they were for?

exshirtfront.jpg
exshirttag.jpg

comshirtfront.jpg
comshirttag.jpg
The "Experimental" and "Custom" tags on the green items aren't telling me much. The horizontal AOR pattern is neat to say the least.

I found them with desert AOR1 pants that were much smaller than the jackets, and Army marked.

pantsfront.jpg
pantstag.jpg

Said to be worn by Delta force. Seen in one photo too. AMAZING find!

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to have the photo?

From what I understand Delta "CAG" got AOR1(DIG2 back then) before or at the same time as DEVGRU. When I lived outside Ft Bragg these would show up from time to time as CAG is stationed there. I never got my hands on any of them as they were way high. Last set I know of that sold went for $2,000 locally. Crye also made pouches and other items in DIG2 for CAG around the same time. The non experimental AOR2 army custom shirts are still common in that area but I never saw a experimental one and all the ones I saw were combat, not field. Anyway that's all I know. Cool stuff !

Thanks for the pictures and info everyone.

Can someone please describe to me the AOR1/2 pattern development sequence? Where would "DIG2" fall in it, and would that be mine? I've heard of "DP3" and "DG3" as well.

It's hard to find info on experimental developments like this.

Well since no one else elaborated I guess I will try. This is just what I have heard and read in passing so it may be wrong but from what I understand DG3 was the designation for AOR2 / NWU III before either pattern was adopted (name used while in experimental / testing) DIG2 is what AOR1 was called during testing and into early issue. NWU II and III are not the same as AOR in that the NWU patterns have a USN logo in the pattern and from what I understand AOR is treated with a chemical to make them less visible to IR which is why AOR is not supposed to to available to the public and is ITAR restricted. Untreated AOR is sold as "desert digital" by a lot of folks like LBT and TQS to the public, or so I am told. Now When I was living by Ft Bragg I heard a CAG guy arguing with a collector about AOR1 (DIG2) and what he said was that CAG had the pattern first and that NSW got it right after them, the collector disagreed with the guy saying DEVGRU had it first and they got into a friendly pi$$ing contest and I stayed out of it. I would not think a CAG operator would make that up but he may be mistaken or CAG and DEVGRU may have gotten it at the same time and there is also the chance he was just trying to rattle the collector's cage. Now I have also heard a couple of collector's say DEVGRU had it first and although that makes sense to me I tend to believe the guy that was there over someone that was not.

DIG2 will sometimes have "DIG2" printed very small in the camo pattern like the USN logo in NWU or the USMC logo in MARPAT.

I have seen pictures of Delta forces guys wearing that camo, and the pictures being from a year that was before DEVGRU was spotted sporting the AOR camo. I can not say if the time period given for the pictures is accurate or not though.

• 1 year later...
jimmyduncan23

I have a set of AOR1 army customs. combat pants + barracks shirt. different cut to the navy customs.If you want ill take some better more detailed ones. got these for way less then navy customs are going for.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I have a set of AOR1 army customs. combat pants + barracks shirt. different cut to the navy customs.If you want ill take some better more detailed ones. got these for way less then navy customs are going for.

Lucky score! Congratulations!