United States Marine Corps, Former Wartime Service Insignia

ehrentitle

A few weeks ago we had a new Army Lieutenant Colonel join our staff who was wearing an unusual combat patch on his ACUs. I asked him what it was and he said he had served with the I Marine Expeditionary Force in Iraq and the patch had been specially designed by the I MEF and approved by the Army for wear by Soldiers. I was a bit doubtful about this thinking that it was some local commander's policy rather than one for the entire Army. That was until I found this page on The Institute of Heraldry website:

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Alpha/Ma...orpsFwtsSSI.htm

Which shows 7 Marine shoulder sleeve insignia authorized in paragraph 28-17, AR 670-1.

I went about looking for the I MEF patch on e-bay and came across a reasonably priced theater made ACU patch from Kuwait. It arrived today and here is a scan:

post-146-1222545196.jpg

An interesting story. Marines have not worn SSI Shoulder Sleeve Insignia since about 1947. So the insignia illustrated CANNOT be worn by Marines who served in these units but CAN BE WORN by U.S. Army personnel who were attached to them during combat operations. I guess if a Marine later enists in the Army, then he would get to wear the insignia on his Army right shoulder. All probably raises eyebrows! :wacko:

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

An interesting story. Marines have not worn SSI Shoulder Sleeve Insignia since about 1947. So the insignia illustrated CANNOT be worn by Marines who served in these units but CAN BE WORN by U.S. Army personnel who were attached to them during combat operations. I guess if a Marine later enists in the Army, then he would get to wear the insignia on his Army right shoulder. All probably raises eyebrows! :wacko:

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Yup, Can't be worn by the Marines and if they later enlist in the Army they technically are not authorized to wear the patch, although I know at least one former Marine who does.

Correct. I get asked that question all the time. Marines, since they aren't authorized SSI to begin with, aren't supposed to wear SSI even if they transfer to the army.

In my opinion, a stupid rule that is probably disregarded.

Correct. I get asked that question all the time. Marines, since they aren't authorized SSI to begin with, aren't supposed to wear SSI even if they transfer to the army.

In my opinion, a stupid rule that is probably disregarded.

Yup, but it's interesting how the NCO Corps will often stringently enforce these rules on their former Marine brothern.

We had a major with the CID section of the HQ that was a former 3rd Marine.. Real A-hole..As an nco rated as a CI field agent, nothing made me happier than rippin him a new one over security violations..He wore a 3rdMarDiv patch on the right sleeve of all his bdu's.. That was back in the mid 90's..We had a guy who wore a Republique Khmer tab on his right sleeve too..He was a master Sgt.. Great guy.

Fins.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

During the KW, the Marine element assigned to 8233rd AU (HG Co, FE Cmd) wore a scroll, as did the other branches in the company (USA, AF and USN).

Here's the other one. II MEF (FWD). This one also came from Kuwait, picked it up there in Nov '07.

Nice patch, I'm still looking for the II MEF in ACU and color. Kevin

Nice patch, I'm still looking for the II MEF in ACU and color. Kevin

I didn't realize until this thread that they actually make a color version of either one of these. I've never seen one worn or for sale, and I know a whole bunch of people authorized the I and II MEF combat patches. Seems to me that it would make a pretty tacky looking combat patch on the Class A's, looks too much like a Squadron patch to me. Look neat on the ACUs though!

Vance

With our new dress uniforms we won't have to worry about combat patches. Not sure how they will look as a metal badge! Guess we will see soon enough.