Kevlar helmet Shore Party?

trenchfoot

I was browsing the Internet and came across this helmet. It's a Kevlar helmet, but what's interesting is that it looks like it was used by a shore party, evident by the red square patch in the front and back. Is that rare for a Kevlar helmet? I thought shore parties were only ww2-Vietnam.

post-163344-0-32535900-1476280289.jpegpost-163344-0-18392800-1476280303.jpeg

More than likely one of the Landing Support Battalions (LSBs) in the Marine Corps. They used to wear a red patch on side of their trouser knee and their cover. I was told it was to identify who was supposed to be on the beach and who was "lingering".

I was told it was to identify who was supposed to be on the beach and who was "lingering".

They started using these because overzealous officers tried to order beach party members (who are supposed to stay on the beach) to pick up a weapon and advance beyond the beachhead with everyone else. It also prevented some gung ho beach party members from advancing inland on their own to join in the combat.

Is it rare to be on a Kevlar helmet cover? Is it something worth buying?

They are not common on any type of cover, but i don't think scarcity ads much in the way of value to them. It's cool to have one from the era you collect.