WWII Armor Officer's Insignia - WWII original or not?

WWII Legacy Girl

WWII Legacy Girl

Hi,

I have a WWII 4th Armored Division Officer's uniform that has the Armor Officer insignia on the collar. The insignia has the number 306 is clasp-back and says A. H. Dondero INC Washington D.C. on back.

Could anyone tell me 1) If this is real WWII insignia or not? 2) What the number 306 means?

Thanks!!!!

post-162312-0-87277800-1476215123.jpg

post-162312-0-82897700-1476215131.jpg

easterneagle87

The Armor insignia, approved in 1950, consists of the traditional crossed sabers (originally adopted for the cavalry in 1851) on which the M-26 tank is superimposed. The design symbolizes the traditional and current roles of armor.

So it appears your armor officer branch insignia is not WW2.

The 306th indicates it's Battalion designation. You can look up their history from there.

Are you sure the jacket is WW2? The same style officer pinks & greens were worn well into the 1950's. The 4th Armored Division was around in the 1950's (when this style branch insignia could have been worn), but I don't believe the 4th Armored Division had a 306th Armored Bn in it. If you post a photo of the entire jacket, that might help figure things out. By chance is the 4th Armored Division patch on the right shoulder? If the 4th Division patch was the prior unit combat patch, perhaps the brass reflect the current unit?

WWII Legacy Girl

Are you sure the jacket is WW2? The same style officer pinks & greens were worn well into the 1950's. The 4th Armored Division was around in the 1950's (when this style branch insignia could have been worn), but I don't believe the 4th Armored Division had a 306th Armored Bn in it. If you post a photo of the entire jacket, that might help figure things out. By chance is the 4th Armored Division patch on the right shoulder? If the 4th Division patch was the prior unit combat patch, perhaps the brass reflect the current unit?

HI there,

The jacket is dated '42 so I am sure it is WWII - unless it was a WWII surplus used later on???? Here are some pictures - I have to post them in a couple posts. Yes, the patch is on the R shoulder.

Thanks for any and all thoughts!!!!

post-162312-0-22358300-1476219294_thumb.jpg

WWII Legacy Girl

2nd photo

post-162312-0-64076300-1476219323.jpg

WWII Legacy Girl

3rd photo

post-162312-0-80469900-1476219351.jpg

WWII Legacy Girl

The Armor insignia, approved in 1950, consists of the traditional crossed sabers (originally adopted for the cavalry in 1851) on which the M-26 tank is superimposed. The design symbolizes the traditional and current roles of armor.

So it appears your armor officer branch insignia is not WW2.

The 306th indicates it's Battalion designation. You can look up their history from there.

Thanks!

Assuming the 306th Armor pin is original to the jacket (no reason to think it wouldn't be), I'd say this jacket is as worn in the early 1950's. The jacket seems to be in nice condition. I wonder how that patch got so worn down?

You'd really need a researchable name in the jacket to solve the puzzle here.

WWII Legacy Girl

Assuming the 306th Armor pin is original to the jacket (no reason to think it wouldn't be), I'd say this jacket is as worn in the early 1950's. The jacket seems to be in nice condition. I wonder how that patch got so worn down?

You'd really need a researchable name in the jacket to solve the puzzle here.

The jacket actually is very worn, overall the condition isn't the greatest. So even though the jacket is dated 1942, you think it is from the Korean War era?

Thanks!!!

The jacket actually is very worn, overall the condition isn't the greatest. So even though the jacket is dated 1942, you think it is from the Korean War era?

Thanks!!!

It is very possible that the officer kept his old jacket given that officers were required to purchase their own uniforms. A friend of mine was with the 101st Airborne after it reactivated in 1956, during which time the Army Greens were being phased in. The division allowed the wearing of the old pinks and greens if the soldier already owned them. My friend simply wore his father's so that he would blend in with the older hands.

Kyle

The 306th Tank Battalion was constituted in the Regular Army as 1st Battalion 34th Armored Regiment Aug 1941. Activated Oct 1941 at Ft. Knox. Reorganized and redesignated Sep 1943 as the 772d Tank Battalion. Inactivated 14 Nov 1945 at Camp Shelby, MS.

Withdrawn from the Regular Army, redesignated 306th Tank Battalion, allotted to the Organized Reserves 16 Jan 1947. Activated 5 Feb 1947. Reorganized and redesignated 2 May 1949 as 306th Heavy Tank Battalion. Inactivated 15 Sep 1950. Withdrawn from the Army Reserves, allotted to the Regular Army and consolidated 27 Mar 1957 with the 34th Armor as part of the Combat Army Regimental System.

WWII Legacy Girl

Those last couple posts I think answered my questions.

Everyone on this forum is great!!! Thanks so much for all the info and details - such a great place for rookies to learn : )

Bottom line - it is a WWII era jacket worn by an officer who served in combat during the war in the 4th Armored Division. All else regarding the branch insignia is guesswork without the wearer's history. You can find that out if there are any markings inside.

Those last couple posts I think answered my questions.

Everyone on this forum is great!!! Thanks so much for all the info and details - such a great place for rookies to learn : )

If you are going to collect armor insignia, you should get James Sawicki' s book on Tank Battalions of the U.S. Army. Wyvern Pubs Dumfries VA