Movie to watch on Netflix

Garth Thompson

USMarineCorps

I watched it as well and loved it as well. It's pretty much a modern day 300! Still trying to figure out how the Irish didn't have any casualties on their side...

Garth Thompson

I watched it as well and loved it as well. It's pretty much a modern day 300! Still trying to figure out how the Irish didn't have any casualties on their side...

They did have several WIA but no KIA probably due to native african troops being of poor quality.

USMarineCorps

They did have several WIA but no KIA probably due to native african troops being of poor quality.

How about those French mercenaries though? Some of them appeared to be experienced and well equipped (even on period pics of the event).

I really liked that movie too! What kind of fighter plane was that?

According to a Wiki article about the siege of Jadotville, it should be a Fouga CM.170 Magister - a 1950s French two-seat jet trainer.

Very good movie, i saw it last week! I was also impressed by the lack of casualties! It was a shame no medals were issued to these heroes. Im glad in more recent times there names of been cleared of wrong doing!

Garth - Thanks for the link. Great flick. Story of a modern day (1961) Rorkes Drift. Well done. I had a first cousin who served with the Irish U.N. contingent in the Congo though not at Jadotville. Erin Go Bragh! Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Still trying to figure out how the Irish didn't have any casualties on their side...

I thought that was amazing as well.... Though if you think about it, there are probably several big reasons:

1) The Africans/mercenaries had absolutely ZERO cover. Just them running through wide open fields. The Irish had multiple buildings, walls, and trenches to hide in/behind, making it relatively easy to repel the attacks with little damage to themselves.

2) With the exception of the French mercenaries, the Africans probably had little to no actual military training. They probably just slapped a gun in their hands and paid them $20 a week or something.

3) The Irish actually surrendered before things got too dire. Had they held their ground, the outcome probably would have been much worse.

But yeah, it's a pretty good movie. Definitely worth watching.