WWII Marine Corps Boondockers- to dub or not to dub?

Lt. Walker

Hi all: Can any of you WWII Marine Corps reenactors tell me if I should dub my new Boondockers? I bought the newest version from ATF and I'm not sure if I should treat them or not. I'm not a reenactor, I just love the look of these boots. That said, I'd like to keep them historically correct,and I have no idea whether the Marine Corps treated their rough outs like the army did (dubbing).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Lt. Walker

I have always understood that Marines in the Pacific typically did not dub their boondockers. Army in the ETO, yes, but I don't know if they did in the PTO.

The boondockers I have and use I did not dub

• 2 weeks later...
northcoastaero

I have heard that the USMC started to dub their boondockers beginning sometime in 1944, according to an official report. I do have a<br />can of dubbing from a USMC veteran who used it around this time also. I will gather some more info for you probably in a few weeks.<br />There is a good article on the Army 90th Div reenactors website about using a product called Sno-Seal with a hair dryer to dub<br />boots. Hope this helps.<br /><br />http://90thidpg.us/Equipment/Projects/Dubbing/index.html<br /><br /><br />

• 2 months later...
northcoastaero

There was an administration manual that states there was a memo on 15 March 1944 by the Commandant USMC to dub the boondocker boots. You can thank the webmaster of the VMB-613 website for this information. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
Armed 2 tha Teeth

This information has been out in various circles for a long time. The original letter of instruction was posted (transcribed) on the old WW2 Reenactors forum in 2011. Here it is.

post-763-0-18355200-1485202469_thumb.jpg

http://ww2reenactors.proboards.com/thread/37005/boondockers-dubbing

I believe the full Letter of Instruction is in the 1943 U.S. Marine Corps Guide to Administration, as you mention.