Baseball like glove for spinning propellers? U S Navy. WWII or later?

Jennings Lane

Jennings Lane

Baseball like glove for spinning propellers?

Previous owner said that this glove was made to spin propellers. Made by the 10X Mfg. Company of Des Moines, Iowa.

Any thoughts?

post-154922-0-88556700-1476012573_thumb.jpg

post-154922-0-46827200-1476012589_thumb.jpg

Made a visual search, but could not find a photo with enough close-up detail to see a glove of that sort being used, or worn, by a USN flight deck guy...

It kind of makes sense for the possibility of it having something, maybe, to do with a guy being called upon to do a LOT of rotating of props on a given day though... which is done (if memory serves) to prevent vapor lock in recip fuel systems - hence engines not wanting to kick over.

I did it a few times myself on a flightline.

It was not easy, btw. So, if I had had to do that several times in a row, a nice thick leather glove would have been welcome... especially in really cold weather conditions such as I imagine are the case on a carrier out at sea.

I think Doyler is right, its a marksmen glove for sharpshooting matches. Note the distinctive darkening at the crotch between the thumb and index finger locations, made from an oiled stock of a rifle.

I think Doyler is right, its a marksmen glove for sharpshooting matches. Note the distinctive darkening at the crotch between the thumb and index finger locations, made from an oiled stock of a rifle.

Well, that for sure, now that you point it out, might also account for why the glove is thumbless and fingerless! So as to keep a good grip on the stock?

Jennings Lane

Well, that for sure, now that you point it out, might also account for why the glove is thumbless and fingerless! So as to keep a good grip on the stock?

I don't think that it is a shooting glove. It's too thick. It is also too stiff to get a good closed hand grip. It's also left handed.

post-154922-0-64404900-1476042865_thumb.jpg

Yes its it worn on the left hand designed for a right handed shooter. Shooting gloves provide firm support under the fore end of the rifle, its not for the trigger hand. It is thick to be firm, research shooting gloves from the 20's, 30's etc.

here is an example of an early shooting glove posted on the forum here some time ago. same concept as yours except yours is open on the finger tips.

post-56-0-76917600-1476044156.jpgpost-56-0-21757200-1476044163.jpg

I don't think that it is a shooting glove. It's too thick. It is also too stiff to get a good closed hand grip. It's also left handed.

The gloves are used with the sling when you wrap the sling around your arm and hand to give yor hand protection from the sling pinching it.Done it hundreds of times.My old brother in law is a former Govemors Ten rifle team shooter,distinquished army marksman and before retiring from the Guard was an instructor in marlmamship and requalifing troops deploying from Camp Dodge

One of my old shooting gloves...lots of stock time.This one has some split leather panels to make it more flexible.

Had one by BOYT that was like the first one posted.

Fairly common glove made by BOYT,10x,Bob Allen etc back in the day

post-342-0-80053500-1476046669_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-18525700-1476046678_thumb.jpg

post-342-0-14433600-1476046686_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm... may this glove then be an example of creative self-preservation by a GI in his place of work?

I.e., may be this sailor DID use a shooting glove to help protect his hands when doing a really rough repetitive task?

Hmmmm... may this glove then be an example of creative self-preservation by a GI in his place of work?

I.e., may be this sailor DID use a shooting glove to help protect his hands when doing a really rough repetitive task?

Huh! Ok this a shooting glove USN property marked nothing more nothing less. The US Navy has marksmanship teams just like the Marines and Army. The wear pattern to the glove is 100% consistent with holding a rifle.

Jennings Lane

Thanks for everyone's input. From the looks of Doyler's photograph, it sure looks like a shooting glove. That's what I like about the forum, I learn something everyday.

Andy