Japanese...What is it?

strawberry 9

strawberry 9

This was bought locally along with a box of other WWII items. The seller found the box in his elderly Mother's attic while cleaning out the house. He believes they belonged to his Uncle who served in the PTO and that these were most likely his bring back items. The box contained some chevrons, wound tablets, a M1 Garand sling and misc. field gear items. He also had a stack of local WWII era newspapers which I didn't buy. This item is what caught my eye though. It is a Japanese voltmeter, and a friend was able to translate that it was made by the Hitachi Corp. What little I could find on internet is that the small anchor signified that it was made for the Japanese Imperial Navy. My hope, obviously, is that this may have came out of a Japanese airplane. I'm hoping someone here will have more knowledge of the piece that they will share with me. Thanks in advance. Multiple pics inbound.

Interesting bring back. You sure you don't want those newspapers? If they're not too pricey they are always interesting to look through. And it won't be long before they are 100 years old.

I have seen these and general consensus was a volt meter for the "V" there were some marked "A" for amps and one "KV" for kilo volts. looked to be from something naval but that was just assumption also.

strawberry 9

It actually says bairitsuki which is usually an amplifier

I was told WWII era Japanese is different from modern. Is that true?

strawberry 9

I've been told that the high voltage range of this meter suggest that the as part of a radio transmitter. Getting closer.

strawberry 9

probably a spare part for a radio transmitter that was taken from a supply area?

I don't think there's any way of figuring outs it's path from Japan to Illinois, but if I can figure out what it's from I'll be happy. It's WWII era, made for the navy and maybe from a radio. Now, to find out what kind of radio. There is the remains of a 2 after the anchor. I found one page that says this signifies that it was Navy fighter aircraft or a ship based radio.

strawberry 9

Most Japanese aircraft gauges contain radiation... You might want to check. Scott

Good to know! I don't have a way of checking but I'll limit my touching of it for sure.

DC volt meter......terminals in the back would not be exposed like that in an aircraft, unless otherwise shielded...part of a sub assembly, as stated like a radio etc..... in a larger acft