Helmet, 1st Div.

nchistory

This M-17 was a barn find at the Gregorson Estate sale in Iowa almost 2 weeks ago. The 91 year old Gregorson and his wife were selling the family farm and moving to town. The ONLY military item found was this M-17, and family at the estate reported it had belonged to an Uncle, Oscar Gregorson. After a little research, it is noted that Oscar had served in the 37th Division, and brother George in the 82nd. I couldn't find any other family members in WW1. This helmet looks to be a 1st Division, red 1 on a yellow shield. Helmet hasn't been cleaned, knocked some dust and dirt off it, yet remarkably in good condition, other than the liner which has some deterioration. Maybe one of the Gregorson's brought this back, or maybe Gregorson's wife, I don't have her father's name, yet this soldier left a clue, yet a mystery on the chin strap scratched into it... I dislike, I can't discern this soldier's mystery, name, unit from his simple marking. Sometimes it's frustrating, they left a clue, to still be unknown.

Does anyone have any information on Ww1 1st Div. helmet markings, and dies this appear correct. Any help with chin strap marking is greatly appreciated. Looks kind of like AEF US ?.

post-153086-0-83328700-1475789976_thumb.jpg