15,000+ Navy 16 Inch Battleship Projectiles To Be Scrapped

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

I ran across this at www.guns.com. The US Army, which apparently has custody of the shells, is looking for a contractor to come in and dispose of this ammunition. These shells were used by the Iowa class battleships in their 16"/50 main guns.

Here is the link to the story: http://www.guns.com/2016/10/03/army-looking-to-scrap-15000-16-inch-shells/5

It is reported that the Navy's Crane, Indiana facility has the following inventory:

Designation/Type Filler Number
D862 High Capacity Explosive D 3,624
D872 Armor Piercing Explosive D 2,430
D874 High Capacity Explosive D 591
D875 Armor Piercing 666 M46 GP Grenades 22
D875 Armor Piercing 400 M43A1 GP Grenades 234
D877 Armor Piercing Explosive D 1,743
D878 High Capacity Explosive D 2
D879 High Capacity Explosive D 411
D881 Practice Tracer only 272
D882 High Capacity Explosive D 6,266
Total 15,595

Heck, I'd be willing to take a couple of them off of the Army's hands. I wonder if they would toss in free delivery......

Regards,
Charlie

Charlie Flick

So I started thinking about what I would do with the projectiles if I could get my mitts on them. I think having a pair flanking the front door would give the old homestead a certain nautical flair.

I then ran across these pics of a 16" projectile restoration. This was done by Central City Surplus out of Santa Maria, CA. Pics are credited to them. I have to say that they really did a nice job with this shell. I don't know where they obtained this example but it shows what can be done.

The demilled projectile on arrival. Note the demill cut at the top.

In truck.jpg

On pallet.jpg

Demill cut.jpg

Wow, that is news. I wonder if the Fort Miles group knows about this. They have a 16" gun on display there. It would be awesome for them to be able to get some of these......

-Ski

Charlie Flick

Central City Surplus welded up the demill cut.

Demill repair.jpg

Got it ground smooth and primered.

Demill repair primered.jpg

Repainted the body and polished the copper band.

Painting.jpg

Located an inert fuze.

Inert fuze components.jpg

The yellow paint curing.

Yellow paint curing.jpg

The completed D875 AP projectile.

Completed.jpg

I gotta say that this was a pretty impressive effort. Of course, the real issue will be whether my wife agrees with me on the "need" to have a couple of these door stops.

Regards,

Charlie

I I wonder if they would toss in free delivery......

Regards,

Charlie

Probably, if you live within 42,345 yards of the storage facility (assuming they have a "delivery system" on site).

I saw the 16" demil request story on FoxNews this week. That will keep a crew busy for years to come...

Somewhere, I have a picture of my brother lifting one of "these." I believe it was on the Alabama that they had a styrofoam version that looked entirely real. My brother bumped into it, and it moved easily, and then he discovered it was a really nice fake. I wish I could find the photo.

David Albert

[email protected]

Charlie,

"The completed D875 AP projectile."

Forgive airman ignorance please, but is that what every shell of the type would/should/could have looked like at time of original issue and aboard ship?

Beautiful job of restoration.