American Campaign Medal

MPoorthuis

Hello everyone,

One of the criteria for the American Campaign Medal is:

"In active combat against the enemy and was awarded a combat decoration or furnished a certificate by the commanding general of a corps, higher unit, or independent force that the Soldier actually participated in combat."

Does this mean that the soldier whose grave I have adopted, who was also awarded the Bronze Star Medal, would have been recognized with this medal?

Shakethetrees

If he served 30 days in north, central, or South America I believe he was eligible.

I forget the dividing lines east and west where the Asiatic Pacific and the EAME medals eligibility begins.

Okay, so he had to serve 30 days in the United States as well to be eligible? The Lieutenant whose grave I have adopted enlisted in January 1941, and served in Alaska if remember it correctly.

30 days service outside the continental US; 1 year service inside the continental US for the award is my understanding. If your lieutenant served 30 or more days in Alaska I believe he would be eligible for the award.

How did he come to be awarded the Bronze Star?

How did he come to be awarded the Bronze Star?

My mistake, it was the Silver Star Medal. But here is his full citation:

Edward A. Thompson, 0413741, First Lieutenant, Company L, 16th Infantry. For gallantry in action in the vicinity of Faymonville, Belgium, 17 January 1945. When assault elements were impeded by an intense automatic-weapons and small-arms barrage from a building occupied by the enemy, Lieutenant Thompson courageously led a group across perilous terrain to the strongpoint. Then, with utter disregard for personal safety, he fearlessly engaged the foe and, with accurately directed grenades, compelled the hostile force to surrender. Lieutenant Thompson’s gallant actions and outstanding devotion to duty exemplify the finest traditions of the service.

I think the part about serving in combat refers to combat in the American Theater of Operations ie serving on a destroyer that attacked U Boats in the Caribbean.

If your lieutenant served in Belgium he would have been eligible for the European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal.

His eligibility for the American Campaign Medal would rest on his service in that theater; 30 days outside the US or 1 year inside the US.

I think he served more than 30 days in Alaska, so that would make him eligible, right?

His family should know how long he served there, so I will give them a call later today.

He was awarded the Silver Star, Purple Heart, American Defense Service Medal and the EAME Campaign Medal.

Still collecting evidence for the American Campaign Medal.

Thank you for your help!

No on the American Campaign for service in Alaska. However if he served in AK between 7 Dec 41 to 2 Mar 46 he would have been awarded the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal. (See page 328 in "The Call of Duty 2nd edition)

The book is on its way, so I will look it up as soon as it arrives! Thank you for your help.

Still trying to figure out when he served in Alaska. I am sure he did, because I have a picture of him in Alaska wearing the Alaskan Defend Command Patch.

Just received the below photograph of Lieutenant Thompson. Does someone recognize the two ribbons?

I think this image was taken prior to his departure from the United States.

He enlisted in the National Guard on 6 January 1941.

Ed_and_Lorraine_Thompson_kopie.jpg

To me they look like the ribbon bars for the American Defense Service Medal and either Asiatic-Pacific Campaign for Alaska service or American Campaign Medal for required time of service in that theater.

So the left ribbon would be the American Defense Medal and the right ribbon would be the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal?

The outer stripes on the right button seem to be three colors, so that would be the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal for his service in Alaska.

Besides, the American Campaign Medal was first awarded in 1947 to George Marshall, so that couldn't be it.

So the left ribbon would be the American Defense Medal and the right ribbon would be the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal?

The outer stripes on the right button seem to be three colors, so that would be the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal for his service in Alaska.

Besides, the American Campaign Medal was first awarded in 1947 to George Marshall, so that couldn't be it.

Not really; all of the campaign medals the US awarded during WWII started out as campaign ribbons. Those were awarded beginning in late 1942 I believe.

Marshall received the first "medal" not the first award.

Marshall received the first "medal" not the first award.

Aha! Thanks for your help.

Still I believe he was awarded the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal for his service in Alaska. The medal should have a "Foreign Service" clasp/bar, am I right?

No, the "Foreign Service" bar is only for the "American Defense Medal". The ATO, ETO and PTO medals have no clasps or bars only battle stars and arrow heads.

Thanks to all of you! I am asking all this because I am preparing a nice display in honor of Lieutenant Thompson. I plan to do the same for the other three soldiers whose graves I have adopted here in the Netherlands, Belgium and France.