Restoration of my 1942 GPW

Willys43

I've finally made the jump into the money pit that is called the jeep! I recently bought this beauty of a 1942 GPW. It's definitely a ground up restoration. The jeep was bought in the late 40s by a farmer who used it as a snow plow vehicle, but it was barn kept so the frame and such don't seem so bad. The goal for this jeep is a nice solid Motorpool restoration. I want the jeep to have some of the character she's accumulated over the past 74 years!

post-160757-0-23426600-1475761781.jpeg

post-160757-0-27767300-1475761852.jpeg

post-160757-0-09146100-1475761923.jpeg

Johan Willaert

Seems like a nice project!

Looking forward to seeing loads of pictures...

Restored a 1942 GPW last winter and will start on a 1942 MB come November...

Johan, it definitely will be!! I'll be sure to post some progress pictures!

Also, it seems like I screwed up the title and left out 1942 GPW. Is there any way to fix this, I can't seem to figure out how!

Well, that will keep you busy, and broke for a while....... :rolleyes:

Like David Doyle told me last night,

You spend $40,000 dollars for the restoration, and end up with a $10,000 dollar restored Jeep.......

Looking forward to the photos......

Johan Willaert

You spend $40,000 dollars for the restoration, and end up with a $10,000 dollar restored Jeep.......

But the fun is priceless... ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Looks like it wasn't messed up too badly. I've always wanted one of these, but I'd buy the $10,000.00 restored one rather than venture into a $40,000.00 plus project. I recently had a great tour of Wendover AFB in Utah in a 1942 Ford jeep. It is all original and never altered. Original engine and all. It was an experience I will never forget. Perhaps this photo will provide some inspiration when you're filling out another cheque or nursing a scraped knuckle...

image.jpg

Cheers and look forward to seeing your progress.

what month of 42? I have a March 42 gpw currently I am restoring slowly and when I get money. I also have a 43 Mb and a 45 Mb both Marine Corps

• 2 months later...

Hello all!

I know it's been a while since I updated this post but if we're honest its been a slow process. Ive managed to blast and repaint the frame. I had to replace a horn, the a frame, and the gussets (who hasn't had to replace gussets) and welding isnt my forte but it is what it is.

The springs were a simple blast and paint (with anti rust primer), but the axles may have just been the biggest pain in the rear. Every time we made a trip to get a part, we'd come home to find another magically broken. But hey it's on wheels so now it looks like SOMETHING.

If there is still interest I can post more detail/ more regularly about my progress. Definitely needing some motivation as I bust into the transfer case...

post-160757-0-21230000-1512954958.jpg

And I forgot to add, Roy that looks like a beauty! Any chance we could trade spots?

Also the jeep is an August baby. GPW 57***

Johan Willaert

And I forgot to add, Roy that looks like a beauty! Any chance we could trade spots?

Also the jeep is an August baby. GPW 57***

Does it still have the Original Dataplate? If so, could you post a detailed picture of it?

Or send it to my email at

info 'at' theliberator.be

Thanks

• 1 month later...