Find of a lifetime: 37th ID KIA group

2ndInf.Div.

For those of you who take an interest in my 37th ID collection/research endeavors, I'm beyond happy to say that I recently came across this group. This belonged to a local vet that served in the exact same unit as my relative, Co. F., 145th IR. About a year back I was digging through the enlistment records of the men of the company who had been killed and was amazed to find that one of them was from the same city as me. I was able to find a local article pertaining to his death as well as his cause of death from the National Archives. I was able to get into contact with his family here in town, and they were able to provide me with items pertaining to his service. There's an abundance of letters that he sent home as well as some photographs. They're currently looking for them, but they also have his Purple Heart as well as a Japanese flag that he sent home. Some of the letters are quite rich in content and describe life on Bougainvillle in 1944. Perhaps the saddest letter dealt with him being awarded the Bronze Star, with Colonel Windom (145th commander) pinning it on him and noticing his Purple Heart and saying that he hoped that he wouldn't have to give him a cluster. Sadly, the next Purple Heart would be sent to his family after he was killed at Manila.

post-80799-0-66098100-1475727576_thumb.jpeg