Pakistan? altered US M1 Bayonet

bayonetman

I am personally rather interested in the US M1 bayonet and its variations. I am illustrating this version in hopes that someone may have better information that can support or refute the information that is currently available on this type.

In the few places that it is shown or mentioned, it states that these M1 bayonets were altered by the Pakistani military to a blade shape similar to the British L series bayonets. Almost all of these quote the information as coming from Jerry Janzen's book Bayonets From Janzen's Notebook. In that book Jerry said that he was basing this on information from a dealer who was selling other Pakistani bayonets.

I have inquired to a number of collectors and dealers, and although most feel that the Pakistani reference is correct, none have been able to provide any definitive information to support that.

I have seen only a small number that I think were "official" modifications, and a few others that have had the point reshaped in a similar fashion. The points that I look for are:

1. Blade length of about 8 inches (200 mm)

2. The cut is shaped smoothly and neatly done

3. Refinished after reshaping, usually a dark fairly smooth finish.

The reason usually given for the work being done is so that the bayonet will fit in the standard British style bayonet. However, I have never seen one in a scabbard other than a standard US M7, most if not all of which are original length and heavily repainted with a dark green paint. Does anyone have one in the British style scabbard?

Bill Porter in Porter's Report Page 4 (http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/porters_page_4.htm) shows one with an additional mark of T4 on the crossguard. My specimen does not have any extra markings. Does anyone have one with any additional marks?

Any further information will be appreciated.

post-66-0-30358800-1475699174_thumb.jpg

If it's any help I believe the importer was Sarco in N.J.. They advertised these bayonets in the Shotgun News some 30 yrs. ago. The ads used line drawings and if memory serves both 8" and !0" versions were offered. I also seem to remember hearing that the British style scabbards had the mouthpiece removed to accommodate the U.S. blade. I apologize for any errors but 30 yrs is a long time and the memory isn't what it used to be.

If it's any help I believe the importer was Sarco in N.J.. They advertised these bayonets in the Shotgun News some 30 yrs. ago. The ads used line drawings and if memory serves both 8" and !0" versions were offered. I also seem to remember hearing that the British style scabbards had the mouthpiece removed to accommodate the U.S. blade. I apologize for any errors but 30 yrs is a long time and the memory isn't what it used to be.

Thank you. I have some old Sarco lists somewhere, may try to dig them out of storage.

I also heard that something had to be removed to accommodate the blade.