2nd Air Division, 8th AirForce, 458TH Bomb Group, 754th BS

chuck locke

post-10857-0-80396000-1475623305_thumb.jpgWanted to see if I could attach this file. My friends dad was a ball Turret gunner on a B24. This is a reunion patch given to me. My friend has his painted A2 but I wanted to give some background. Sgt. Richard Hopkins flew 30 missions with BrauerCrew#43, They trained on a B24 they called ole 682 while in the states. They flew the southern route to England where they had intended to name the B24. Well upon arrival they flew two quick diversionary missions which turned out to be milk runs, so got superstitious and called her "Ole 682" for the rest of the time they were there. Of course 682 was the last three numbers of their B24. Sgt. Hopkins flew thirty missions which included flying over Normandy on D-Day, He was though flying with a different crew as Brauer was sick.

So, a little side story. Hopkins was also the engineer and used to make model bombers and fighters from unusable propellers. One day he and some guys were talking by the commanders window, when the commander mentioned if someone carved him a bomber and left it on the window, there just might be a bottle of whiskey placed in the same place. Well that transaction and others were very successful to the delight of crew 43. when the crew decided to go home after thirty missions, the navigator stayed and became the squadron lead navigator and Hopkins thought he hadn't done enough, but didn't want to leave the squadron which was the norm. He again stood outside the commanders window, placed a model and mentioned he would like to stay with the squadron. the commander said he'd try but he needed a gunner that night. Sgt Hopkins flew that 31st mission and they were shot down. He spent the last six months as a POW. The following pictures are of his A2. Rich and I did a ride on Collings Foundation B24 and Rick took his A2 for one more ride.

post-10857-0-80396000-1475623305_thumb.jpg

post-10857-0-31359900-1475625138_thumb.jpgThe back of his A2. There were no patches on the front. The right pocket flap had "Hoppy" painted on it

post-10857-0-31359900-1475625138_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested, search on the internet for Bomb Group 458 Brauercrew#43. Sgt Hopkins did a diary of the first thirty missions.

Another story, the pilot Brauer insisted that everyone check in every fifteen minutes. He started it in training and did it all of their missions. One time Hopkins helped the tail gunner hook up and then took his place in the ball and hooked up. Something Didn't get hooked right and shortly after hooking up he passed out and started to freeze. When he Didn't check in Brauer had a waist gunner check him out. They pulled him out of the ball, gave him oxygen and warmed him up. His eyeballs had started to freeze. He said he had trouble with one eye for the rest of his life. He also told his son that w hen he flew with that crew on D-Day, they never had a check-in after the initial startup comm check. He thought at the time if he had been with this crew and pilot when his hook up failed he would have frozen to death.