'Modified' Aircrew Wing

Kropotkin

Hello All, I'm considering the below aircrew wings that have been modified by applying an US Army button to the front but wanted some trusted opinions on them first. I'm not too fussed about the button front applied to the wing (on balance it's probably too obvious for a forger or con-merchant to have knocked up), but I'm looking for assurance - or otherwise - on the wing itself. Is the wing itself legit?

00f1f4db55d448649e5f8be83e46778c.png

It certainly looks like a WWII era modification. A uniform pocket button applied to an Observer or Navigator badge sure makes for a unique looking Aircrew badge!

Very cool. Another, first I've seen.I tried to copy the pics so we will be able to still see, even after they take the pics down. But could not copy & paste them.

Very cool. Another, first I've seen.I tried to copy the pics so we will be able to still see, even after they take the pics down. But could not copy & paste them.

No trouble. As soon as I receive them I'll take some new pictures to upload directly onto the thread. I used the print screen function on my tablet to get the original set of images on here quickly and the site doesn't seem to like the format.

That was likely someone's lucky wing, with the amount of wear and modifications and repairs!! Looks like they also fixed the pin and catch at some point.

To me, these are the holy grails of wings, unique, well worn, salty and "been there, done that" look. I rather have a wing like this in my collection than a mint/new in box/out of a surplus store wing that was never worn or used.

Cool beans and thanks for sharing.

P

Thanks both. I'm of the same mind regarding wings such as these being far more rewarding to find and intriguing to ponder as to their story. An irony then that they go for peanuts in comparison to the tidy, unworn specimens when many a wing collector does so to preserve and honour the history the wings represent.

That is a very cool wing. Patrick is 100% right, those types of wings are much more fun to own than the ones that sat on a shelf for the entire war.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth if other collectors are going to focus on the minty items and let the used ones go low! Its like shinning wings--its all up to the collector.

P

Patchcollector

That's a neat Wing.I like the unusual stuff,so this one appeals to me.As for the new vs old debate,I try to get one of each;a minty example and a nice salty one too.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth if other collectors are going to focus on the minty items and let the used ones go low!  Its like shinning wings--its all up to the collector. 

P

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! It just seems counter-intuitive to me.

That's a neat Wing.I like the unusual stuff,so this one appeals to me.As for the new vs old debate,I try to get one of each;a minty example and a nice salty one too.

A good policy to have. Though over here I take what I can get, minty, salty or otherwise. It's like truffle hunting at times, which amplifies the fun when I get something like this in my hands.