LLDB Variation Patch

smwinter207

Variation that I have never seen. Any pics of the back? The tiger is going down with the 3 stars like the 1st design and the shield shape with the 2nd design. Tigers face and body looks weird.

I had one a couple of years ago and if I remember right it went for very good money.Scotty

Judging by the loose threads on the back view, it looks like it has actually been worn.

I've seen printed patches done like this, but most of them looked suspect. This is the first time I have seen this actually silk woven. And it does not look like the normal fake silk woven ones.

There are dozens of patches from the Vietnam War that have yet to be documented... this could be one of them.

Surprisingly this patch doesn't seem to appear in Cecil Smyth's books. It does appear in Major John Waring's ID Pamphlet No. 8 and in a supplement to the Formation Sign 62 (the journal of the Military Heraldry Society) of 1966.

RW

...and what is this, same design different colours, appeared in a 1971 issue of the Trading Post:

lldb_red.jpg

(the image is a mock up based on a sketch and a written description)

...and what is this, same design different colours, appeared in a 1971 issue of the Trading Post:

lldb_red.jpg

(the image is a mock up based on a sketch and a written description)

Same looking tiger

I've been intrigued by the grey and red patch listed in the Trading Post for years, never seen one and still looking.

Is there any evidence for it being a mis identification, it was posted by David Bruce, usually a reliable source.

I agree the LLDB wouldn't have used it but the So Lien Lac did use a grey tiger on a red shield albeit a very different design.

I did think that it was possible the text description next to the drawing was typo, that it relates to a So Lien Lac patch however the listing before is for just that patch and has the correct text alongside. P37671 and P38671 if anyone wants to check.

Maybe a phantom but...

• 7 years later...
Basic Rifleman
On 10/7/2016 at 8:08 PM, rolfi said:

It does appear in Major John Waring's ID Pamphlet No. 8

Do you have a copy of this or know where I could find one? I've been searching for a while now for No. 8