Huey Unit Markings

automatic

I got ahold of a large picture group a while back, but there was no information with the group whatsoever. Now that I have a little more free time, I'm going through and attempting to use the details in the photos to learn more. Anyway, these two markings are found in multiple photos on the tail boom of hueys, in between the "United States Army" inscription and the vertical fins. I found them ID'd as A and B troop, 3/17 Cav, 9th Aviation BN, but I want to verify this. It seems that most soldiers in the photos are 1st Infantry Div, and a vehicle that had legible markings was marked for the 1st Infantry Medical Detachment (Which makes me question these markings). These are gunships, and they do not appear to have any other insignia. When I can figure out how to water-mark the photos I will post the full birds. Thanks for your help!

post-153851-0-62875200-1475526519.jpg post-153851-0-20408200-1475526520.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Those are indeed 3rd Squadron, 17th Cavalry markings. A Troop had a yellow band across the triangle, B Troop had a black band and C Troop had a red band. Info quoted from Bob Chenoweth's article on page 396 in Scale Aircraft Modeling magazine dated June, 1982. Hope this helps.