Interesting United Nations Legion Of World War II Vets Sterling Pin

KumaKuma

Recently acquired this interesting United Nations Legion World War II Vets, or United Nations World War II Vets Legion Pin. Enameled sterling silver screw back pin by The Metal Arts Co., Inc. Rochester, N.Y. Measures about 21mm wide and 14mm tall. I have googled both names and cannot find out any info on this organization. Does anyone know anything about them? Which name is correct? Were vets from all allied nations eligible to join? Is it still in existence? Did it provide assistance to the vets in any way? That's the sort of info I am looking for. Appreciate any and all help with this one.

post-151710-0-56510200-1475521854_thumb.jpg

post-151710-0-34587700-1475521884_thumb.jpg

I tried some searching myself and I came up empty. This is definitely a new one on me.

Kevin

The United Nations Legion Post token is at least affiliated with the United Nations Legion, which by default may make it also in some way affiliated with my pin. Thanks lettow for the additional angle to the mystery. I just knew there would be somebody on this site that could give me a little more insight to this though, maybe it will still happen...I doubt this is the only pin like this in existence. Keep those replies coming.

There are a couple newspaper articles in newspaper.com that refer to the organization. It appears to have been founded during WWII. The national commander was named Herbert W Lane. He was from Detroit. Its first National convention was in Detroit in 1944. Unfortunately, most of the articles are in the Detroit Free Press and are only available in newspapers.com premium subscription which I won't pay for.

lettow,

Thanks for the info concerning the mention of the United Nations Legion available at the website you mentioned. I am not inclined to pay for a subscription either because newspaper articles dealing with the goings on of various organizations generally don't lay out the scope of the organizations they are referring to, usually just noting the time and place of their meetings, the members present...etc. I am much more interested in the finer details of the organization as I mentioned in my original post. But certainly do appreciate the extra detail you have afforded me and it's a step closer to my goal. It just boggles my mind that this pin is so hard to nail down.