Don't See This Everyday....

TLeo

I was in Virginia Beach last week and on Saturday evening I happened to look out the hotel window and saw the USS George Washington (CVN-73) sailing by headed into Norfolk.

post-5081-0-32773600-1475515833_thumb.jpg

Beautiful sight to see. I remember growing up going through the Chesapeake Bay bridge and tunnel and when we came out at the halfway point we saw a guided missile cruiser sailing between the two areas of the canal..\

very impressive.. I would imagine they are trying to make port in the wake of the Hurricane, which hopefully will not make it up the eastern coastline..

Leigh

Power projection at its best. I don't have the quote exactly right but it seems I was told at various military professional courses that President Reagan was known for asking during a crisis "Where's the closest carrier and where are the closest Marines?" If it ain't true it should be!

Awesome picture!

Thanks...could have turned out better if the sun had been out but it had been cloudy about all day. I would not have even tried this photo without the long lens I had with me because she was further out than the photo makes it look. (and her size helps too!)

phantomfixer

way cool pic ...I go by there OTW to Langley AFB to see my son....there have been times I saw two or three carriers at Norfolk, in port...then the next morning poof...out to sea...

So to catch one out in the open is cool...awesome picture....

and speaking of power projection....right after 9/11 before the deployment...coming across the upper Chesapeake Bay Bridge, was a Sub guarding the bay...just sitting there....listening??? or maybe radar?

way cool pic ...I go by there OTW to Langley AFB to see my son....there have been times I saw two or three carriers at Norfolk, in port...then the next morning poof...out to sea...

So to catch one out in the open is cool...awesome picture....

and speaking of power projection....right after 9/11 before the deployment...coming across the upper Chesapeake Bay Bridge, was a Sub guarding the bay...just sitting there....listening??? or maybe radar?

I concur with sigs, subs on the surface are not doing their job unless it involves getting to a pier.

Submarines and Naval Vessels routinely go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnels without the aid of tugs. If they are using a tug, then something bad has happened.

Just saw an attack sub the other day steaming through the CBBT first island, it was a great site!!

Chris

Submarines and Naval Vessels routinely go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnels without the aid of tugs. If they are using a tug, then something bad has happened.

Just saw an attack sub the other day steaming through the CBBT first island, it was a great site!!

Chris

. Chris, you are absolutely correct. I did it many times while stationed there. I also sat outside occasionally. Usually, if we were standing in, there was something in the way if where we wanted to go. Or, the tugs we would use to get along side the pier were delayed for some reason. If we were standing out, usually we were waiting for another ship to catch up. That was rare, but happened.

I was on the bridge for Sea and Anchor detail on 5 ships. "Waiting for Tugs" was sort of a generic response when someone would ask why we were just sitting.

One of my fondest memories of living (25 years) in SF Bay was seeing carriers and other Navy war vessels coming in under the Golden Gate and down toward Hunter's Point area... the Bay, normally busy with small private and commercial vessels of every description, took on an entirely different "feel" when our Navy pulled into port; a kind of quiet majesty infused the place as if to say, "Not to worry, we are still here."