"Knights helmet" worn by female war photographer

Proud Kraut

knighthelm.jpg

The caption for that photo says "Miller wears a special helmet to accommodate her camera as a war correspondent in World War II."

Having that cutaway section would make it a lot easier to get your eye to the camera viewfinder.

That helmet is somewhat similar to this one as shown at http://www.nyc-techwriters.com/militaria/a...can_helmets.htm

American Model 8 Steel Helmet

This experimental helmet features a visor to protect the wearer's face almost completely. The manufacture of this helmet, the Model 8, was undertaken by Ford Motor Company in November 1918. About 1,300 helmets of this model were produced. It featured a three pad liner system similar to the one found in the Model 2.

knight.jpg

Thank you for this informations!

I asked because I have never seen this helmet worn by any combat photographers I have seen pictures of. So it is my understanding that this was a prototype, not used widely.

Lars

They were made for photographers so they could tilt the front brim up to look through theyre camera, I have seen pics of these, one is in Steel Pots on page 153, it shows one in use and the special liner that went with it.....mike

It's for real. It appears like the visor has been decorated to give it a more "knightly" look. I think I've seen some documentary footage of one of these in use but I can't remember where.