A-11 question.... What mask?

Garandomatic

Garandomatic

I tried to find the answer, but didn't turn up much... I'm new to flight helmets, was just given a very nice A-11 and thought I'd put together a setup with goggles and all... What would be an appropriate oxygen mask for it, and what kind of radio equipment would be good for what I'm doing?

northcoastaero

How many snaps are on each side for the mask attachment? This will help to determine if it is an earlier A-11 or

later A-11. The A-14 would be a good choice in size medium or large with an ANB-M-C1 microphone and long rubber

cable with PL-291 plug. The A-10 Revised and A-10A masks were used earlier. The A-13 mask used in higher

altitude aircraft such as photo reconnaissance. AN-6530 goggles or the later B-8 rubber goggles could be used.

The earphone elements would be the ANB-H-1 with twisted cloth covered cable with a red PL-354 plug. A mix of

British gear could be used also such as goggles and mask communications wiring.

Garandomatic

How exactly do these things attach? I know they snap, but I don't see what all the straps go to, and almost bid on an A-10 or something but it looked like straps may have been cut.

Pretty sure mine has four snaps and is a size medium. Would that mean that only a medium mask would look right?

Thanks fellas...

First versions of the A-11 had no snaps for the mask. The oxygen mask kit came with snaps that hat to be sewn on. The next version had three snaps added in production and the final version four snaps. The mask size wouldn't matter regardless of the number of snaps. Mine is a three snap version and the A-14 is a medium

This one is a four snap and the A-11 has the RAF style bell plug and radio mic

post-68384-0-24884300-1475532594_thumb.jpg

northcoastaero

Sorry for the confusion. If your A-11 helmet is a medium, I would probably use a size medium or small mask. The small A-14 masks seem to be easier to find these days. If you decide on an A-14 mask, keep in mind that the later A-14A had a greenish-gray colored hose. You probably will need the all green A-14.