Scout dog team impression

NobleLoyalGSD

NobleLoyalGSD
jeff, as always, looking good. you and heidi do a superb job. it was a joy to see first hand at kings mountain. hopefully more, in the near future.

Thanks! I guess it's about time I put a photo up on my forum thread... ;)

Memorial Day 2009 military "time line" public event at King's Mt. (SC) Nat'l Military Park

post-1759-1248062708.jpg

NobleLoyalGSD
Great impression and awesome GSD. My father was a Combat tracker in the 64th. Combat tracker Platoon 4th. Infantry Division 1969-1970. You have no idea how much they loved their dogs. They would carry as much as 16 quarts of water for the them. He has many photos from his tour and there were definitely yellow labs in use. He has told me many stories of the very good dogs and handlers and the bad ones. Let me correct myself there, the quality of the dogs was always up to the handler. He said there were many dogs fights that they would have to break up! He has told me of the dogs that were killed and wounded. You can tell that it bothers him to this day. I tried to up load some of his pics but they were too big. They can be seen on the Combat trackers website. My brother has a black lab and I have a wonderful German Shepard. He loves them and whenever he sees them he begins to tell war stories. And for anyone doing the impressions......don't forget your scrolls! They wore them with pride. Martin

Martin, I appreciate the compliments (Heidi says "thanks" too)! Also, PM sent in reference to your father.

Rest assured I never forget the scrolls ;)

Left shoulder of my uniform...

post-1759-1248063132.jpg

I just came on this late and am Very Impressed .

Great subject matter .

Post 20s tiger beret shows the humor and love shown to war dogs in Vietnam by the men .

Keep it up sir .

Owen

ABrangerjoe

Awesome impression! And I like your work, your in country made insignias are outstanding. Thanks for sharing the photos!

-Joe

Great effort with this. The dogs are the ones that are often forgotten but were worth their weight in gold. I also have a german shepherd and I am starting to use her in my re-enactments now that she is old enough. This year at the Wat and Peace show in the UK we portrayed a USMC sentry dog team. Where did you find the harness and lead, its something that I am really struggling to find.

Once again, great effort

Dave

NobleLoyalGSD

As always THANK YOU to all for your comments!

Dave, PM sent in reference to the k-9 equipment but was unable to deliver to your in box.

~Jeff

Where did you find the harness and lead, its something that I am really struggling to find.

Have you tried Ray Allen K-9 Equipment in the US? www.rayallen.com

If you go to their site and click on "collars and harnesses", then go to the section for harnesses, you'll find the tracking harness listed as the "old world leather military spec harness", which can be ordered by NSN number as well. They also have a wide variety of leather leads. I use the one with the French scissors snap for WWII German, since it's identical to leads I've seen in photos of WWII German dog handlers, and one with a regular bolt snap for the other time periods we do. I don't have any of their collars because I get mine at www.gundogsupply.com ($5 and comes with a brass name plate) or locally made by the Amish.

Had a look at the Ray Allen website and they have some good stuff. Here's a photo of me and Amber at the War and Peace Show

post-7281-1249242612.jpg