Scout dog team impression

NobleLoyalGSD

Some photos of me with my "scout dog" Heidi. We portray / re-enact a scout dog team with the 49th Infantry Platoon, Scout Dog (199th LIB).

Me & Heidi 2007

post-1759-1222458846.jpg

Me & Heidi moving out...

(photo not mine, unfortunately I don't remember the photographer's name, but it was taken at the NAM68 event in 2007...if you know him, please give him credit).

post-1759-1222459085.jpg

That's a very beautiful dog you got there.

And quite some impression as well.

Erwin (also the proud "owner" of a GSD)

Thank you!

I got Heidi from a GSD rescue and when I reflect on my selection, I realized she chose me. I am now her people.

Thanks for everyone's comments!

Jeff

Captainofthe7th

Hey Jeff,

Great impression! I'm really impressed to see a good scout dog impression. How does she hold up to small arms fire?

I talk often with another member of the 199th, Charlie. You guys do a really great job, I wish there was a Nam group like you guys somewhere up here.

Rob

NobleLoyalGSD
Hey Jeff,

Great impression! I'm really impressed to see a good scout dog impression. How does she hold up to small arms fire?

I talk often with another member of the 199th, Charlie. You guys do a really great job, I wish there was a Nam group like you guys somewhere up here.

Rob

Thank you!

She does just fine around gunfire and has a great temperament. As soon as contact is made, her ears stay up and she's eager to see what all the noise is about. She'll give a good ferocious attack bark when flares whoosh overhead.

She'll also walk right through every dang tripwire the "VC" string out. LOL

Jeff

• 3 months later...
NobleLoyalGSD

Heidi & me at Ft. Pickett, VA public display back in October.

Photo by Chris Crawford, 2008 (Thanks Chris and Abby!)

post-1759-1231095069.jpg

Very nice! I wanted to do a Nam scout dog impression, but I've got a golden Lab.

Do you have a Golden Retriever or a Yellow Labrador?

A Yellow Labrador would be perfectly acceptable as a tracker dog or a mine and tunnel detector dog. Both yellow and black Labradors were used by the Americans and by the Aussies in Vietnam. As a matter of fact, the first tracker dogs that the US Army used came from the British, which had (at the time) the best tracking dog schools around. They trained US handlers at the British Jungle Warfare School in Malaysia before the US got its own tracker dog program off the ground.

Both yellow and black Labradors were used by the Americans and by the Aussies in Vietnam.

As the Australian army was (and still is) fanatical about camouflage and concealment it was the policy at the Infantry Center Ingleburn to only use Black Labradors as Tracker Dogs in South Vietnam.

Here are some pics to back up my point.

They are of course non-US pics but I put them here as evidence to my point.

willy04ho5-1.jpg

2trackersjz5.jpg

jbn013fc3.jpg

ske671139vnpu9.jpg

248474775-L.jpg

2RARtarckingteam-01.jpg

dog-01.jpg

nelson9-01.jpg

willy37ou0.jpg

Heidi & me at Ft. Pickett, VA public display back in October.

Photo by Chris Crawford, 2008 (Thanks Chris and Abby!)

Awesome pics by the way Jeff thumbsup.gif

NobleLoyalGSD

As the Australian army was (and still is) fanatical about camouflage and concealment it was the policy at the Infantry Center Ingleburn to only use Black Labradors as Tracker Dogs in South Vietnam.

Here are some pics to back up my point.

They are of course non-US pics but I put them here as evidence to my point.

Tracker dog "Skipper" (US Army tracker)

post-1759-1231181036.jpg

post-1759-1231181046.jpg

Both yellow and black Labradors were used by the Americans and by the Aussies in Vietnam.

I stand corrected on the Aussies. I do know, however, that the US used Yellow, Black, and Chocolate Labradors. Black is the most common color, not by reason of camouflage, but by reason of black being the most common color in Labrador Retrievers as a breed.

Army tracker dog Skipper.

S3A1.jpg

Tracker dog Roddy.

ML2A.jpg

Tracker dog Rebel.

TROPIC1A..jpg

Tracker dog Bodie.

Bodie5.jpg

(These are all from CombatTrackerTeam.org)

• 6 months later...

Great impression and awesome GSD. My father was a Combat tracker in the 64th. Combat tracker Platoon 4th. Infantry Division 1969-1970. You have no idea how much they loved their dogs. They would carry as much as 16 quarts of water for the them. He has many photos from his tour and there were definitely yellow labs in use. He has told me many stories of the very good dogs and handlers and the bad ones. Let me correct myself there, the quality of the dogs was always up to the handler. He said there were many dogs fights that they would have to break up! He has told me of the dogs that were killed and wounded. You can tell that it bothers him to this day. I tried to up load some of his pics but they were too big. They can be seen on the Combat trackers website. My brother has a black lab and I have a wonderful German Shepard. He loves them and whenever he sees them he begins to tell war stories. And for anyone doing the impressions......don't forget your scrolls! They wore them with pride. Martin

jeff, as always, looking good. you and heidi do a superb job. it was a joy to see first hand at kings mountain. hopefully more, in the near future.