Documented US Navy D-Day M1 Helmet with Period Photo

warpath

Oh, my good god! Would you take payroll deduction for a few years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, I've taken every legal type of payment including allotments, IOUs, Wimpy Deals (I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a piece of Militaria today! ), cash, checks, watches and more! I just won't take anything that eats! Ed

Sure, I've taken every legal type of payment including allotments, IOUs, Wimpy Deals (I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a piece of Militaria today! ), cash, checks, watches and more! I just won't take anything that eats! Ed

So I shouldn't have mailed you that puppy?

• 2 weeks later...

Eh???

your picture on post #18 is well known. It says :

"Platoon A-1 of the 6th NBB pose in their foul weather Army gear while training on the beaches of England. In addition to the Navy medical corps, this rare photo, published in "Spearheading D-Day," includes the hydrographic, communications and small boat repair section. Dr. Frank Ramsey, Beachmaster David Waddy and Ensign Ralph Wood have removed their helmets. Dr. Ramsey was seriously injured on D-Day when a chunk of his shoulder was blown off by a Nazi artillery shell. Refusing evacuation, he suffered intensely on a stretcher while providing triage instructions to his USN corpsmen. And, more than half a century later at a reunion in Atlanta, GA, left to right: LCDR Joe Vaghi, PhM3/c Andy Chmiel, Cox Herb Goodick, S1/c John Hanley, RM1/c John Gallagher, BM2/c Mario Mesa, CM3/c Gino Carlucci, S3/c Ray Castor, and RM3/c Richard Gibler."

=> Dr. Frank Ramsey, Beachmaster David Waddy and Ensign Ralph Wood have removed their helmets

Max

• 1 year later...

This is a fantastic helmet. In fact, Lt. Oakes had three helmets in his estate when his grandson originally sold them to Ed.

It would be interesting to see where all these helmets ended up.

post-10007-0-17291300-1513877623_thumb.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

This is a fantastic helmet. In fact, Lt. Oakes had three helmets in his estate when his grandson originally sold them to Ed.

It would be interesting to see where all these helmets ended up.

Wow, I wonder why three helmets? Were they all his from his service time, or a couple more added / collected in his later years?

Wow, I wonder why three helmets? Were they all his from his service time, or a couple more added / collected in his later years?

The right was for North Africa, the middle for Anzio, and the left D-Day.

• 2 weeks later...
stealthytyler

Just before D-Day unit photo

This photo is of the 6th Naval Beach Battalion. Why does your helmet not have the red arc painted on it? I thought all 6th BB helmets had this marking. Maybe since he was an officer he didn't place one on his lid?

• 1 year later...

Hi

I know the owner of the helmet and no he doesn’t have the rest of the stuff.

I was offered all that stuff before it went to auction, can you see 36k worth of stuff? Because I certainly couldn’t...

There was a musette bag with locations visited written on and the flag was claimed as a D-Day flown flag. It certainly doesn’t look like a flag that has seen much action especially considering the weather in Normandy during that period.

Regards

Tom

USMC-RECON0321

Hi

I know the owner of the helmet and no he doesn’t have the rest of the stuff.

I was offered all that stuff before it went to auction, can you see 36k worth of stuff? Because I certainly couldn’t...

There was a musette bag with locations visited written on and the flag was claimed as a D-Day flown flag. It certainly doesn’t look like a flag that has seen much action especially considering the weather in Normandy during that period.

Regards

Tom

I agree, Not seeing that value at all with just what is showing in the picture. What are we missing here? I mean to get to that price there had to be two bidders seeing that type of value. Is there more story to that flag maybe??

Troy

stealthytyler

Flag was apparently flown aboard an LST that landed on D-Day. The rest of the items are personal items and field gear used by the man. The musette bag has writing of all the places he had been to during the war. Imagine how much the lot would have sold for had the helmets not been broken up.... There is a famous photo of two sailors diving into a foxhole on UTAH beach. In this auction, there is a sticky note pointing to one of the sailors stating that Mr Oaks is this man pictured.