Military Colonel Hard Hat?

DaddyDog

Here is a FibreMetal hard hat, not dated, but has the name Allison and a Colonel rank with jump wings attached with typical pins and clutch back. I don't know what to make of this. Has anyone seen this done before?

Thanks for comments.

post-6880-0-15454000-1475371261_thumb.jpg

post-6880-0-64315200-1475371274_thumb.jpg

post-6880-0-51810500-1475371288_thumb.jpg

Please show the insignia on the sides of the hard hat.

I wouldn't say it is common, but this could have been worn by an officer in the Army Corps of Engineers. Hard hats like this would be common on Corps construction job sites.

Thanks for the info.

The sides of the hat have no insignia. I see now that the front view photo makes it appear that way.

post-6880-0-61327100-1475373717_thumb.jpg

post-6880-0-35910100-1475373727_thumb.jpg

Hah! I thought those clips were insignia!

Another thought is either Proving Ground or missile testing.

The insignia look brand new, right out of the package. I would think there would be a little wear given the condition of the helmet. Maybe it was presented to him and never worn?

The insignia look brand new, right out of the package. I would think there would be a little wear given the condition of the helmet. Maybe it was presented to him and never worn?

I don't think colonels generally do the kind of work that wears out helmets.

I've seen a lot of CB and COE hardhats and this looks like those - nothing standardized about them, so ornamentation and decoration varies considerably.

I don't think colonels generally do the kind of work that wears out helmets.

True! But even minor routine wear or even moving it around usually affects those subdued insignia. These have absolutely no wear and look like they were attached yesterday. And I doubt someone would put jump wings on a construction helmet except as a presentation / departure gift to this Col. Just my two cents.

If a large construction project was entertaining and/or presenting a briefing to VIPs (Colonels and Generals), these hats would be prepared for their visit and they would be given to the visitor when they arrived on site. Often they would be collected afterwards and stored for later use in case there was another visit. That would account for them not showing much use.

Sign that I didn't get enough sleep last night:

I was confused by the topic heading "Military Colonial Hard Hat".

I'm sure it must have an interesting story. Wonder what it is.

If a large construction project was entertaining and/or presenting a briefing to VIPs (Colonels and Generals), these hats would be prepared for their visit and they would be given to the visitor when they arrived on site. Often they would be collected afterwards and stored for later use in case there was another visit. That would account for them not showing much use.

We are really parsing this one down.

I can see where there would be a large construction project where our good colonel was one of the officer's in charge. That being the case, he may have made multiple visits and therefore had his own dedicated hard hat.

As far as the airborne wings, I have never known an airborne soldier who passed up an opportunity to add them to what ever they were wearing.

We are really parsing this one down.

I can see where there would be a large construction project where our good colonel was one of the officer's in charge. That being the case, he may have made multiple visits and therefore had his own dedicated hard hat.

As far as the airborne wings, I have never known an airborne soldier who passed up an opportunity to add them to what ever they were wearing.

Particularly if you are a Master Parachutist; that that extends to what ever you carry or drive.

As an aside, it's the only sticker I allow on my cars.