A proposed law banning the sale of Purple Hearts - HR 6234

Dave

I would suggest that if your congressman or senator supports/votes for HR 6234, that you never vote for that person in the future. Because any public official who supports this scam non-solution faux bill is not worthy of public office... EVER.

There are three solutions:

1. You are offended that Purple Hearts are sold and you deal with it like anything else that offends you - ignore it.

2. You educate veterans families on why they should not sell their family medals and thus reduce the number of medals sold.

3. You confiscate by law Purple Hearts and forbid anyone (and threaten jail) with a different opinion from having a voice.

Right now, this HR 6234 is #3. Yes, I have a problem with #3 and wonder why they don't try #1 and #2 instead. Options #1 and #2 have been the logical solution to differences for over 200 years. Option #3 is new since the 1960s. If you have enough "leaders" pushing #3 solutions to everything, you have North Korea.

(I will add that #3 is a non-solution. It solves nothing.. .but it does promote tyranny. Options #1 and #2 are actually real solutions)

I find it rather interesting that because you are against this law:

1) Because someone disagrees with you, you tell them to ignore it

2) Veteran's families sell them for all sorts of reasons. You now want to tell them to stop selling them?

3) They are not forbidding (and threatening jail) anyone with a different opinion from having a voice.

Bottom line is that you want to be able to buy/sell a purple heart. There is no other agenda for you. You can discuss preserving history, families don't want them, etc. But in the end, you want to be able to buy/sell a purple heart. They want to protect the purple heart. They say it is unpatriotic to make money on the blood of a veteran. You say it is unpatriotic to not allow collectors to buy the medal and preserve history.

There are valid reasons on both side of this discussion. There is no tyrannical agenda. There is no patriotic/unpatriotic agenda. Unless you stop these conspiracy theories and start talking in a concise non-argumentative way, you will lose this fight.

Who in this world knows another's heart.We all have opinions ...we all feel our opinion is correct.

I think it should absolutely be legal to sell Purple Hearts...period.The scenarios have been laid out and I for one, have bought Purple Hearts in every conceivable situation you could conjure up...Veterans...Families...Pickers...Dealers...Collectors...Trash man...the folks not informed that end up with them.I am not embarrassed or ashamed of what I do...I do not hide behind a pretense or words.I feel that a service is provided by salvaging these medals from those who no longer care.I spend lots of money doing this and yes, I even sell the ones not going in my collection; it allows me to add more to my collection...and sometimes...pay the bills.

Plus...I have yet thrown one in the trash can....I care about these medals.

Who in this world knows another's heart.We all have opinions ...we all feel our opinion is correct.

I think it should absolutely be legal to sell Purple Hearts...period.The scenarios have been laid out and I for one, have bought Purple Hearts in every conceivable situation you could conjure up...Veterans...Families...Pickers...Dealers...Collectors...Trash man...the folks not informed that end up with them.I am not embarrassed or ashamed of what I do...I do not hide behind a pretense or words.I feel that a service is provided by salvaging these medals from those who no longer care.I spend lots of money doing this and yes, I even sell the ones not going in my collection; it allows me to add more to my collection...and sometimes...pay the bills.

Plus...I have yet thrown one in the trash can....I care about these medals.

Robert,

I agree with you. As I said, I am not a proponent of this law. I am just trying to say that arguing that this is a tyrannical agenda or that one side is unpatriotic is not the way to fight this law. Both sides feel they are being patriotic. Trying to push a conspiracy theory does nothing to fight this law.

...Kat

As far as being a informative thread it has probably covered most everything. If you have valid points to add, send me a pm.Midnight has come early.The thread is locked.

Thanks to all who participated...CONTACT your REPRESENTATIVE...

It is suggested to locate the Bill on the last page.

114th CONGRESS

2d Session

H. R. 6234

To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide for penalties for the sale of any Purple Heart awarded to a member of the Armed Forces.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

September 28, 2016

Mr. Cook introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL

To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide for penalties for the sale of any Purple Heart awarded to a member of the Armed Forces.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the “Private Corrado Piccoli Purple Heart Preservation Act of 2016”.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

Congress finds the following:

(1) The Purple Heart medal solemnly recognizes the great and sometimes ultimate sacrifice of American servicemembers like Private Corrado Piccoli.

(2) The Purple Heart medal holds a place of honor as the national symbol of this sacrifice and deserves special protections.

SEC. 3. PENALTY FOR SALE OF PURPLE HEARTS AWARDED TO MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES.

Subsection (a) of section 704 of title 18, United States Code, is amended to read as follows:

“(a) In General.—

“(1) PENALTY.—Whoever knowingly purchases, attempts to purchase, solicits for purchase, mails, ships, imports, exports, produces blank certificates of receipt for, manufactures, sells, attempts to sell, advertises for sale, trades, barters, or exchanges for anything of value any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces, or the ribbon, button, or rosette of any such badge, decoration or medal, or any colorable imitation thereof, except when authorized under regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

“(2) LIMITATION ON REGULATIONS.—Regulations referred to in paragraph (1) may not authorize the sale of any Purple Heart awarded to a member of the Armed Forces or former member of the Armed Forces by the Secretary of the military department concerned.”.

• 1 month later...

I see that the PH Bill got kicked from the Judiciary Committee to the subcommittee for Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security. I suspect it will be a low priority bill there. Still has no co-sponsor.