A proposed law banning the sale of Purple Hearts - HR 6234

Dave

our best action is to make our position known on social media. post your positions the the congressmans facebook, twitter... accounts

So what is Fike doing with those 400 medals in his basement? Sounds like he may be in possession of contraband. Lets call the FBI and have them start with him. So seriously, as the law is proposed, Fike is one of the major violators of the law through his self admission of spending 30K per yer buying medals. What will he do with the medals in his possession? How can he run Purple Hearts Reunited if there is no opportunity to obtain those PH's which have been discarded by the family?

I don't doubt that, if this was passed, medals would somehow find their way to Fike's "organization" to be returned to the families. Seems he thinks he's found a way to reduce the logistical costs of his hobby-turned-crusade. The sad thing is, if he treated it as a hobby and didn't villainize collectors, mutual support may have been possible over the years, instead of these stand-offs

I don't doubt that, if this was passed, medals would somehow find their way to Fike's "organization" to be returned to the families. Seems he thinks he's found a way to reduce the logistical costs of his hobby-turned-crusade. The sad thing is, if he treated it as a hobby and didn't villainize collectors, mutual support may have been possible over the years, instead of these stand-offs

Imagine if Capt Fike posted the names on those 400 PH medals to a site like this. Think of the research assistance he could receive? For several of us have quietly researched and returned medals to family members. No fanfare, no published articles. Just humbly doing a service. So come on Capt. Post those names and medals!

MilitaryResearchAssociates

The Military Times just posted an article on this. For some reason, I can't attach the link (must be user error).

So now we live in a country where the sale of marijuana is encouraged and legal and the symbol of sacrifice and heroism is forbidden and illegal.

So now we live in a country where the sale of marijuana is encouraged and legal and the symbol of sacrifice and heroism is forbidden and illegal.

It is a proposed Bill and nothing is forbidden or ilegal...yet.Write your Congressman.

The Military Times just posted an article on this. For some reason, I can't attach the link (must be user error).

Link to the article:

http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/selling-purple-hearts-illegal-cook-bill

Penalties for selling seem pretty harsh:

"Republican Rep. Paul Cook introduced legislation last week which would make selling the medal punishable by fines and up to six months in prison."

I haven't seen any reference to there being any repercussions for owning the medal.

Link to the article:

http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/selling-purple-hearts-illegal-cook-bill

Penalties for selling seem pretty harsh:

"Republican Rep. Paul Cook introduced legislation last week which would make selling the medal punishable by fines and up to six months in prison."

I haven't seen any reference to there being any repercussions for owning the medal.

We need to start a legal fund ... if a veteran's widow or one of us is charged, we need to challenge this unconstitutional law in court and have it shut down as pure stupidity.

What happens if Rep. Paul Cook doesn't like something else we do? He can outlaw that as well? Is he the next Kim Jong Il? Goodness.. our military heroes are turning over in their graves.

This thread has been cleared of off topic posts.Please stay in the spirit of the thread and help try to find a solution to this new assualt.

I see someone has drafted a boilerplate letter in support of the bill and posted it on the internet. Would someone here be interested in composing a letter in opposition that we can edit and printed to send to my Rep?

I see someone has drafted a boilerplate letter in support of the bill and posted it on the internet. Would someone here be interested in composing a letter in opposition that we can edit and printed to send to my Rep?

Do you have a link to the letter posted on the internet? Was it on something like Facebook?

Since this is a proposed federal law your state congressman and your US senators are the ones who need to receive the letter.

I will write one tonight that everyone can send their representatives.

Do you have a link to the letter posted on the internet? Was it on something like Facebook?

Since this is a proposed federal law your state congressman and your US senators are the ones who need to receive the letter.

It can be found here:

http://www.atlmoaa.org/upload/PH%20Preservation.pdf

It reads:

I am writing to you as your constituent and an advocate for combat-wounded veterans and their families and survivors to request your support for H.R. 6234, the Private Corrado Piccoli Purple Heart Preservation Act. If enacted, this legislation would make it illegal to buy and sell military-issued Purple Hearts.

The Purple Heart is a unique medal, awarded exclusively to servicemembers who are wounded or killed in combat against the enemy. For those who pay the ultimate sacrifice, the Purple Heart is often the last tangible item their family receives in their memory. In cases where Purple Hearts are lost, stolen, or never received, I believe every effort should made to return those medals to their rightful owners. To that end, Purple Hearts Reunited, a non-profit organization strongly supported by the Military Order of the Purple Heart, is dedicated to returning lost or stolen Purple Hearts to the original recipient or family at no cost. To date, Purple Hearts Reunited has returned over 300 medals and is actively working to return over 700 more.

Unfortunately, certain military memorabilia dealers are selling military-issued Purple Hearts on the secondary market at exorbitant prices, making it harder to reunite veterans and families with lost or stolen medals. Due to the morbid curiosity of some collectors, medals engraved with the names of those killed in action command the highest prices. As a veterans' supporter who understands the sacrifice that the Purple Heart represents, I find this appalling.

The Private Corrado Piccoli Purple Heart Preservation Act, introduced by Representative Paul Cook of California, a U.S. Marine Corps veteran and double Purple Heart recipient, would put an end to this practice by making it illegal to buy and sell military-issued Purple Hearts. This would prevent merchants from profiteering off the sale of those medals, eliminating the market and making it easier to return them to their rightful owners. This bill would not prevent the sale of replacement or duplicate medals through authorized sellers.

Please help ensure that lost and stolen Purple Hearts are reunited with veterans and their families by cosponsoring the Act Private Corrado Piccoli Purple Heart Preservation Act today.

I would have more than one person write up something to send in so people can choose which one they want to send to their senators.

I would leave out anything having to do with buying/selling medals because this will only be seen as someone wanting to make a profit on medals. To some putting a purchase price on a medal devalues the intent of the medal. As seen in this write-up from the internet, he is focused on the purchase price of medals. This proposed law does not go against our constitution and anything stating the buying/selling will only give them more ammunition against collectors.

I would focus on how collectors work with museums/schools putting out their displays to show young people.

I would focus on how collectors work with museums helping with historical research.

I would focus on how collectors have websites devoted to sharing their collection.

I would focus on how collectors do work with families in preserving the items.

Focus on only the positives of collecting. As I said, do not focus on buying/selling a purple heart because you will only be seen as someone fighting this law so you can buy any medal you want to purchase.

Cat-

You've brought up some good suggestions that with some minor tweaking would work as a letter. Why don't you put together something?

Thanks-

Dave

Cat-

You've brought up some good suggestions that with some minor tweaking would work as a letter. Why don't you put together something?

Thanks-

Dave

Dave,

Since I don't collect medals, I thought it might be better coming from someone who collects medals. They could talk more on a personal basis than I could. I was just giving some pointers. If you want me to work on something, I will be happy to help. :)

..Kat

I would have more than one person write up something to send in so people can choose which one they want to send to their senators.

I would leave out anything having to do with buying/selling medals because this will only be seen as someone wanting to make a profit on medals. To some putting a purchase price on a medal devalues the intent of the medal. As seen in this write-up from the internet, he is focused on the purchase price of medals. This proposed law does not go against our constitution and anything stating the buying/selling will only give them more ammunition against collectors.

I would focus on how collectors work with museums/schools putting out their displays to show young people.

I would focus on how collectors work with museums helping with historical research.

I would focus on how collectors have websites devoted to sharing their collection.

I would focus on how collectors do work with families in preserving the items.

Focus on only the positives of collecting. As I said, do not focus on buying/selling a purple heart because you will only be seen as someone fighting this law so you can buy any medal you want to purchase.

Kat,

While the main intent or focus should not be the buying or selling of medals, I don't think that is a secret and do not believe we should act if it didn't happen. I'm not embarrassed or ashamed that I buy sell or trade Purple Hearts. The whole intent of this Bill revolves around the "Commerce " of Purple Hearts...they know.

Please draft a letter as Dave has said...there will be a happy medium here surely.

I thought about taking a different approach and addressing it as a personal property issue. These are Republicans and a mainstay of the platform is being able to do what you want with your property. The question is who owns the medals? Are they the property of the awardee or the awarder? I guess they have made it clear tha tthe Medal of Honor is the property of the State not the individual, but will that hold true with the Purple Heart?

I thought about taking a different approach and addressing it as a personal property issue. These are Republicans and a mainstay of the platform is being able to do what you want with your property. The question is who owns the medals? Are they the property of the awardee or the awarder? I guess they have made it clear tha tthe Medal of Honor is the property of the State not the individual, but will that hold true with the Purple Heart?

They way I see it, medals presented to me are not done so on loan

Excellent point!

Will this congressman demand that each recipient (or KIA family) sign an agreement that the Purple Heart be returned to the government or the serviceman's wife and family face criminal prosecution (or should I say persecution)?

Maybe Congressman Cook will demand wording like "Should the widow or children of Sgt Smith attempt to sell this Purple Heart, they will face six months in prison plus fines. More importantly, selling this Purple Heart will very much disappoint Congressman Paul Cook and it is now by royal decree against the law to disappoint Congressman Cook."

The wording sounds insane but it is not far from accurate ... and underscores the pure lunacy of this bill.

They way I see it, medals presented to me are not done so on loan

Yes.. that was in the old honorable America. Since the 1990s, if they want something you have, they pass a law that allows them to take it. I remember when that was called theft ... now it is called "judicious legislation."