Cool photo: 'Nam gear in OIF '03-'04

Mercenary25

Here is a cool photo that might be of interest to Vietnam and OEF/OIF collectors.

I can't find the original subtitle of the image but it was found in getty images gallery awhile back. But you can see that a soldier on right is wearing a mixture of Vietnam era M1956 and M1967 web gear instead of MOLLE pouches.

M1956:

-Pistol belt

-2x First aid/compass pouch

M1967:

-H-harness

-2x 20 rounds (shorty) ammo pouches

This photo made me wonder.

post-4082-0-82789000-1475280544.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ha! That he's a collector explains it!

I wore several pieces of M-1956 gear (I especially liked the harness) in the 1990s until forced to change over to the [in my opinion crappy] LBV by my unit in the late 1990s. I even had an Iraqi kidney pouch on my belt for awhile.

I wore late 70's web gear, ammo pouches, aid kit and compass pouch for my tour in Egypt in '99-'00 and OEF '01-'02

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I know the soldier in that photo and he is a collector, which is why he is probably wearing the Vietnam gear.

What unit is he in?

• 1 month later...

Here is a cool photo that might be of interest to Vietnam and OEF/OIF collectors.

I can't find the original subtitle of the image but it was found in getty images gallery awhile back. But you can see that a soldier on right is wearing a mixture of Vietnam era M1956 and M1967 web gear instead of MOLLE pouches.

M1956:

-Pistol belt

-2x First aid/compass pouch

M1967:

-H-harness

-2x 20 rounds (shorty) ammo pouches

This photo made me wonder.

He also has a M79 in his left hand

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

He also has a M79 in his left hand

The M79 was pretty common in Iraq and Afghanistan, with regular units and the special ones.

post-153751-0-04990900-1480601720_thumb.jpg

Navy SEALs in Ramadi Iraq, April 2006

post-153751-0-16940800-1480602049.jpg

"Pirate Pistol" a cut down M79 used by Matt Bissonnette (aka Mark Owen) as show in the Book No Easy Day

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

That's not M1967, that's ALICE, what came directly before MOLLE, so it's only 3-5 years outdated at that point.

• 11 months later...

When I was with A Btry/ 4th BN/ 133rd FA/ 49th AD in 2000-2003 we still had M1967 canteen covers in the supply room. There might have been other M1967 gear there too, but I didn't notice it.

• 10 months later...

I remember someone on one sixth warriors forum posting this pic, if I remember right he was the one on the right hand side... story is he was carrying the m79 because someone in his squad was whining about having to carry it, haha. I believe he said he caught a lot of flak for using the older stuff instead of MOLLE.

• 2 years later...

That is me, and yes, indeed, I am a collector. The photo was taken during the Battle of Najaf in August, 2004.  The cameraman was a fellow by the name of Joe Raedle.  After the second day of the battle he was assigned to my platoon for a few days.  There is a whole sequence of photos on Getty Images of my platoon during that time.  My thumbnail photo is another one of the photos in that series.    

It's bizarre to have photos of one's self floating around on the internet and to find those photos being referenced many years later.  I don't go looking for people re-posting photos of me, but they occasionally come up.  For instance, someone in Europe years ago posted this photo on a blog entry about soldiers in OIF/OEF using really old school gear.  I found this entry today digging up some old (unrelated) posts on M-1967 gear.  

2 hours ago, Apache26 said:

That is me, and yes, indeed, I am a collector. The photo was taken during the Battle of Najaf in August, 2004.  The cameraman was a fellow by the name of Joe Raedle.  After the second day of the battle he was assigned to my platoon for a few days.  There is a whole sequence of photos on Getty Images of my platoon during that time.  My thumbnail photo is another one of the photos in that series.    

It's bizarre to have photos of one's self floating around on the internet and to find those photos being referenced many years later.  I don't go looking for people re-posting photos of me, but they occasionally come up.  For instance, someone in Europe years ago posted this photo on a blog entry about soldiers in OIF/OEF using really old school gear.  I found this entry today digging up some old (unrelated) posts on M-1967 gear.  

Too cool!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 5:26 PM, Apache26 said:

Best thing of all is that you are home and safe. Thankful our country has people like you.

Ronnie