65th Armored Infantry/20th AD foot soldier uniform, gear, etc

Bob Hudson

This soldier served late in the war, racing through Germany knocking down the last resistance. He kept a very short diary. In it he talks about his taking of spoils of war and I posted those at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/276103-diary-of-a-souvenir-hunter/

He kept an impressive amount of Uncle Sam's stuff as souvenirs too:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The ike has serious moth damage, but when surrounded by eveything else, it all makes for an impressive display. I buy from a lot of families and it is so rare that anything survived the decades besides the Ike.

His diary covers the end of the war, but I just found another document which shows him getting a GCM in March 1944, while serving as a small arms instructor at Fort Knox.

The diary has been transcribed:

3.jpg

7.jpg

Sadly this folded up newspaper cracked at the fold, but you can still read his unit's story (and there's a photocopy.)

6.jpg

5a.jpg

His diary mentions his quest for German souvenirs, but he also spent time finding some nice examples of early war field gear. They mostly have other soldiers laundry marks, many from the same GI. There are three musette bags. The canteen is a welded aluminum 1918 in a GLIDA

1942 cover. I'm not sure yet if his mark is on anything, but he still had great taste in OD#3 gear.

He was awarded the GCM Jan. 1944.

I love that his Good Conduct Medal approval had to be signed by four different people!

8a.jpg

The records say he enlisted Dec. 1943. How could he be GCM eligible in Jan. 44? I thought it took three years of service.

15.jpg

The original boxed, engraved Bronse Star is present and then there are engraved replacement Bronze Star and GCM medals:

7.jpg

8.jpg

Here's the completed transcribed text of the diary. The diary is only 12 small pages, but still an interesting read (when it was transcribed, the family typed in info from his dog tags):

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Wasn't it against regulations to keep a diary in combat? I had wondered if this was maybe something he wrote after the war, but in the back of the diary I found what looked like a list of candy and personal items purchases by perhaps members of his squad:

3.jpg

4.jpg

Fantastic grouping! What's the helmet look like? Thank you for sharing.

Robert

The suspension in the liner is pretty shot.

Turns out the field gear was not his issue: based on what I've learned, some of it may have belonged to an in-law.

The goodies. US and German, are great but the diary really makes it. Terrific group.

Agreed - the other stuff is just war surplus.

Great group. I will post it on a 20th AD Facebook page that is very active, fans, relatives and vets from the 20th AD.

Here are my 20th AD group, Walter C Martin, 20th Tank Batt, service comp. Everything are in great shape.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/104330-20th-armor-grouping/

Avy marking or decal on the helmet?

Turns out the field gear was not his issue: based on what I've learned, some of it may have belonged to an in-law.

Well, at least some of it has his laundry number on it, the carrying strap at left of the gas mask bag.

Here is a link to the 20th FB page, there is info of the attack on the SS barracks in the files section.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/20thArmoredDivisionInWorldWarII/

Wow, an amazing grouping!!! My Dad also fought in his Battalion so it's especially a treat for me to see everything you posted. Thanks!! James : )