Diary of a souvenir hunter

Bob Hudson

This is one soldier's keepsakes from apparently late war duty racing through Germany with the 65th Armored Infantry (under 20th AD), capturing prisoners galore and knocking down last-ditch resistance. And, oh, gathering the spoils of war and writing about it in his diary.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

One of the handwritten pages:

7.jpg

dhcoleterracina

The German Cross looks like it's black backed which would make it for the Panzer guys and more valuable. Perhaps it's dark green but a great group regardless.

The German Cross looks like it's black backed which would make it for the Panzer guys and more valuable. Perhaps it's dark green but a great group regardless.

It is black.

I looked again under different light and there is for sure no green: just a sort of faded black (is that paper?). I know squat about TR shoulder boards and rank insignia but I saw something online that made me think the "pink" trimmed board was Panzer.

Here's another shot of that cross back:

13.jpg

Would you mind posting more of his journal? Maybe a separate thread somewhere? Seems like a great read!

Here's the full text: it's not long, but is great account of soldiers fighting in the very final days of the war in Europe"

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

garrettbragg12

That was a wonderful read, thank you for that! I cannot imagine the frustration and heartbreak of losing so many GI's so close to the end. I also cannot imagine the treasure trove of stuff in the SS School!

A very neat group with an interesting recollection of events. Can't say I've ever heard a Vet use the wording ' Looted ' instead of liberated

The SS school he is referring to is Flint Kaserne known by most as SS-Junkerschule Bad Tölz, it served as HQ for Patton's Third Army and later the 10th SFG

The German Cross looks to be a Panzer issued with fine hand embroidery

CDub

A very neat group with an interesting recollection of events. Can't say I've ever heard a Vet use the wording ' Looted ' instead of liberated...

CDub

Based on what he wrote in the back of the diary, I'd say this was written as events happened so "looted" was his first impression.

Kurt Barickman

Bad Tolz must have been a treasure of trove of SS items. Is the piping on the Hitler Youth shoulderboard red or pink?

Nice pile,

Kurt

Kurt Barickman

In the HJ, pink piping denotes motorized Hitler Youth which is rarer than Allegemeine or regular HJ. Also, the G on the board means he served at the Gebiet level of Hitler Youth which is the next level below Reich or national level. Really cool.

Kurt