Odd Navy Warfare Device patch ID: ASW & CT Units 'FLISH'

DocCollector1441

DocCollector1441

Hey all, I was hoping you guys might be able to help me identify the origin of this patch. It is sewn onto a pair of 1971 dated Submarine coveralls and has one submarine dolphin, the ship from a surface warface pin, and then one golden wing.

I am looking to purchase the coveralls, but was unsure about the patch. I wanted to know what it was before I obtained the coveralls and removed the patch.

Thankspost-157793-0-53780800-1475201715.jpg

It is actually something to do with CT's Sigs aren't your kids CT's? (or used to be)

They are on Subs, in the air and on the surface....

DocCollector1441

It is actually something to do with CT's Sigs aren't your kids CT's? (or used to be)

They are on Subs, in the air and on the surface....

Is there any type of documentation of that? I am just curious if the patch has something to do with the sailor's rating I imagine it is more than likely original to the garment so I wouldn't want to remove it if that was the case.

Is there any type of documentation of that? I am just curious if the patch has something to do with the sailor's rating I imagine it is more than likely original to the garment so I wouldn't want to remove it if that was the case.

It is a novelty type patch I am looking for more information, I am a member of the CT facebook page so I have posted the picture there as I recall seeing a

similar badge posted there

The patch represents the DIRSUP community, Direct Support which is a CT community on land sea and air. unauthorized but not Novelty it was referred to as a FLISH

post-582-0-35669500-1475336902.jpg

Patch if for the anti submarine warfare. Have a grouping of the different items that I will post this evening when I get Home

You may be thinking of this the AW rating

post-582-0-95124600-1475338005.jpg

You may be thinking of this the AW rating

attachicon.gifaw.jpg

No, .Not the case here. The patch shown by the original poster is the official unofficial ASW insignia of the USN. Why the insignia is in reverse I have no Idea. The name tag on the CDRs G1 has the insignia in all gold, again I have no idea why the OP has enlisted color dolphin. Dont take My word, search Task Group 70.4 and it will explain the USN ASW.

post-10493-0-84073900-1475343996_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-72430700-1475344130_thumb.jpg

SKIR awesome information and pics.It wouldn't be the first time an insignia maker, especially overseas, messed up a design.The belt buckle looks like the ones out of Subic Bay, PI.

there us a bunch of responses fron old CT's confirming the DIRSUP. i will post the facebook link later when i get to my computer. As seen on the navsecgru patch the patch is the same

Salvage Sailor

No, .Not the case here. The patch shown by the original poster is the official unofficial ASW insignia of the USN. Why the insignia is in reverse I have no Idea. The name tag on the CDRs G1 has the insignia in all gold, again I have no idea why the OP has enlisted color dolphin. Dont take My word, search Task Group 70.4 and it will explain the USN ASW.

Commander Hal Scudder was CO of the Fletcher class ASW destroyer USS SPROTSON (DD-577) 1966-1968 homeported at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii

0557706.jpg

Commander Hal Scudder was CO of the Fletcher class ASW destroyer USS SPROTSON (DD-577) 1966-1968 homeported at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii

SS, Thanks for the pic of the DD. Got to dig out his G1 with the Ship and Task Group patches. Along in his grouping are his plaques and cruise books, one of which explains the design of the HUK (hunter killer) ASW badge which represents the Aviation element (wing), The Surface Warfare element (ship) and the target

(Dolphin) of the Anti-Submarine Warfare badge. Though unoffical, the badge was worn though out the ASW TF, much like the DBF badge in the SS submarine community.

there us a bunch of responses fron old CT's confirming the DIRSUP. i will post the facebook link later when i get to my computer. As seen on the navsecgru patch the patch is the same

No mystery there, the TF would have its own SECGRU det.

Here are some DIRSUP related CT patches, on all of these the wings and Dolphin are reversed, I don't think this is a mistake, my guess is the CT's made it their own by doing this.

Most of these had nothing to do with the Task group or ASW

post-582-0-05247900-1475372055_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-38056800-1475372068.jpg

post-582-0-82086700-1475372081.jpg

post-582-0-55162700-1475372094.jpg

No my patches all from Various CT sites, but here is more proof that the wings and dolphins reversed do have to do with ASW

this one is my patch

post-582-0-52945300-1475373196.jpg

DocCollector1441

Wow, alright that is badass. I would certainly see the CT version of the patch being more in tune with being on a garment designated for use on nuclear submarines as CTs were often aboard submarines. Moreover, the relaxed regulations aboard submarines would be one of the places in the Navy it would be seen. Although I think submariners are so proud of their dolphins they would want to display those. I think if I am able to pick up these coveralls, I will leave the patch intact.

DocCollector1441

I know this is going beyond the patch, so if the moderators and admins would like me to move this to a different thread I will be happy to. But can someone advise if the Coveralls, Utility, Nuclear Submarine were cut into shorts? Here is a picture of the set I am trying to purchase, but I cannot determine if they legs were hemmed or if they were designed that way:

post-157793-0-66234400-1475374390.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Nice examples of the ASW & CT/DIRSUP emblems Bearmon. Question, is your Task Group Bravo patch yellow from the flash or is that the color? Both of mine are blue and white.

Task Group Bravo 001.jpg