Looking for information on CVW 12 Carrier Air Wing 12 patch

Siamundo

I was hoping someone might have some knowledge about the history or mission of US Navy Carrier Air Wing 12. I have not really been able to much information about CVW 12 other than they were disestablished in 1970 and were referred to a Readiness Carrier Air Wing, or RCVW, which seemed to be a naval reserve type of unit. Did they ever make any actual deployments aboard carriers? I found one picture online of them aboard the USS Coral Sea, but no details or date were provided. Any idea which squadrons might have been assigned to it? Thank you for any information.

post-2744-0-04635700-1475063988_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

It was named CVG-12 before it became a "Readiness" unit.

Here is a link with info.Scroll down until you see CVG-12:

http://www.gonavy.jp/CVG-CVG12.html

February 4, 1953: former CVG-102 redesignated CVG-12
April 11, 1958: CVG-12 redesignated RCVG-12
December 20, 1963: RCVG-12 redesignated CVWR-12
June 1, 1970: CVWR-12 disestablished

Hi,

this is a Carrier Air Group 12 patch and its a West Coast Air Group which made deploymends on USS Boxer in 1954, USS Hancock 1955-56 and USS Lexington 1957. You can found pictures here in this Cruise books:

www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv19-56/index.html and navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv16-57/index.html

Thank you everyone for the additional information. I have found that on some of type of patches it is tricky to differentiate between when it was a carrier air group or the later carrier air wing-unless of course it is one of those like the 3rd or 10th where the designation is spelled out on the patch.