Best Book on U.S. Military Medals?

MPoorthuis

Hi everybody,

What is the best book available on military medals of the United States?

I came across this one, but the description says "the single best book":

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Medals-United-States-Lawrence/dp/1884452450/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475060331&sr=8-1&keywords=Military+Medals+of+the+United+States

Best book on US Medals is The Call of Duty by Strandberg and Bender, OSMA journals as well.

I'm not a medal guy but have not regretted getting a copy of the book mentioned.

Best book on US Medals is The Call of Duty by Strandberg and Bender, OSMA journals as well.

Thank you! Problem with that book is that it is not available in the Netherlands, and if I order from Amazon, Dutch customs is going to charge import duties and taxes, and I am trying to avoid that.

I agree, the Call of Duty is THE book to buy and study. Order the NEW EXPANDED EDITION, It has more pictures and info. Even if it's expensive to get to you in the Netherlands, it'll be worth it. Preventing one bad buy, or finding one nugget will pay for the book. With US Medals, knowledge is the key big time.

Wayne

You made a wise investment. To parrot everyone else, it'll be the most valuable item in your collection- I've learned so much and been saved from potential burns from this book, and due to it was even able to obtain an original Great Guns medal! Congratulations on an excellent purchase!

• 2 years later...

Hi again, looking for another great reference book on U.S. medals and awards, especially the history if the Medal of Honor? I came across “The Medal of Honor” by Dwight Mears, is it any good?

Besides detailing the exploits of recipients from each of the titled wars, these three books all contain excellent historical information on the MoH: Heroes of World War II, Korean War Heroes, and Vietnam Medal of Honor Heroes. I believe all are available via Amazon.

Boston Publishing did a "coffee table" book entitled "Above and Beyond." in the 1980s. Heavily illustrated, it is also an excellent MoH history reference. Not sure where you can find this today.

Good luck.

Hi again, looking for another great reference book on U.S. medals and awards, especially the history if the Medal of Honor? I came across “The Medal of Honor” by Dwight Mears, is it any good?

From the excerpt available online, it looks like more words than photos. Interesting words, but I'm guessing if you want a reference book, you prefer photos. In that case, The Call of Duty is still the best book out there for that. Between that book and the threads on here about engraving, you have more information about the Medal of Honor than 99% of other collectors.

• 1 year later...
tdogchristy90

I finally picked up Call of Duty. Ive been wanting to for the past 6 months and finally bit the bullet.

Im currently reading it cover to cover, starting with the introduction and working through it. Im still in the Medal of Honor section, about to read Medal of Honor - Air Force.

Im loving it so far. So I agree, It is a must.

Brian Dentino

Just picked this up today as well. Looking forward to going through it and (hopefully) increasing my knowledge on medals as well!