The way it was.

rldarmstr

We cleaned out a couple of upstairs closets recently and I came across a bunch of my early 1960’s American Rifleman Magazines. The classified ads make up the last 17 pages (more or less) of the magazines. I thought a little nostalgia might put a perspective on today’s gun control issues. BTW; I was working on a farm for a $1.00 and hour and didn't know what the 2nd amendment was. No FFL's, I could order these firearms and they came to my front door.

Among the more dramatic offerings were:

US 1903 Springfield rifle – $29.95
US Army Model 1917 - $29.95
US .30 caliber M1 Carbine - $74.95
US Model 03A3 - $42.95

A new shipment of F.N. Mausers from Peru in .30-06 caliber - $39.95
German P38 pistol - $34.95
German Luger Model ’08 - $39.95
German 98 Mauser - $24.95

USMC WWII bolo machete - $3.95
US model of 1905 bayonets with WWII scabbards - $3.50

The “Z. M. Military Research Co.” offered a combo:

M1903 Springfield rifle; complete with sling, M1905 bayonet w/M1910 scabbard, pull through oiler, and combination tool – $39.95
A 10 pocket cartridge belt was a $1.98 extra.
A garrison belt with interlocking embossed buckle and two cartridge pouches was an extra $3.98

No political agenda.

Lifetime membership to the NRA was $100

How times have changed!

I believe that "Z.M. Military Research Co" was a Military Collectibles business in Englewood , NJ. I remember going to their store a few times in the the late 60's. The inventory they had was amazing. My spending budget when I visited was about 5 bucks. Would love to go back in time with $1,000 to spend. I still have a few of their catalogs. I'll try to post a page or two.

Use to look through the old gun mags my dad had.Anti tank rifles, and all types of things for sale.

Not much has changed as far as wage cant keep up with the prices...:D

My dad purchased Model 92 Winchester rifles back around 1960 or 61. They were $35 each....he was only making $64 a week thats spending half your check on a gun... Explain that to the wife that you spent half your check on a gun. I wouldn't have wanted to I knew her as well.:D

ZM was in New york city first in the old Tribune new paper building, the 1968 Gun control act in NYC drove many of the gun dealers out of the city....

$97.50 for a Garand... because adding $2.50 to make it an even $100 would have made it too expensive to sell!

Before we get all nostalgic, according to an inflation calculator that I used, $100 in 1960 would be worth $813 today.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

So looking at these ads, you have to keep in mind these were still pricey items even back then.

$97.50 for a Garand... because adding $2.50 to make it an even $100 would have made it too expensive to sell!

Before we get all nostalgic, according to an inflation calculator that I used, $100 in 1960 would be worth $813 today.

So looking at these ads, you have to keep in mind these were still pricey items even back then.

Exactly. As I posted my dad as a driver and route sales for our local Coca Cola plant made a typical wage of $64

a week.Payed rent had two young daughters mom worked at a factory plus all the other incidental and got by.

Even then prices were way above average people ability to collect or buy.

• 3 weeks later...

Credit also wasn't what it is now. Today you can throw that M1 on your credit card and or get a cash advance on it and take months to pay it off. Back then, you would have had to take out a bank loan.

Credit also wasn't what it is now. Today you can throw that M1 on your credit card and or get a cash advance on it and take months to pay it off. Back then, you would have had to take out a bank loan.

Very true. A lot of people have forgotten how little credit was extended to the average person in the 1960's. Most loans were based on collateral, such as a house or a car. This was back in the day of department store lay aways... a practice which was revived in the cash poor recession of late. People even put their kid's Christmas presents and clothes on lay away and paid off their purchases month to month. The only good news about that is usually it was done without an interest charge.

I think people use paypal the same way.Just buy and run it through paypal thats linked to a card.Seems if you are a seller here on the forum very few will follow through with a deal if you ask for a check or money order.I get pay pal if faster and more convieant but I think mostly people who use it dont have the funds to get a money order and operate off credit

I purchased a Garand at an auction here 8-10 years ago.bought it asit had some early features and a 43 dated barrel.I was able to see the prior owners records two years ago.He bought it in 1968 for $80.No other info.

Found out its all correct WW2 for the time frame even an uncut operating rod.

Can you imagine a Johnson for $60. I hope 60 years from now people are saying ...can you imagine a Mosin Nagant for $80. Of course I'll be long gone by then.

Can you imagine a Johnson for $60. I hope 60 years from now people are saying ...can you imagine a Mosin Nagant for $80. Of course I'll be long gone by then.

No but I remember Johnsons for $150-$350...Then they hit $500.Still didnt buy one

A good friend bought a 1911A1 (Colt, 1944) at our local gun show in the early 70s for $50. Stone mint in a repack foil bag like many of the NM pistols came in. He says that stuff like Lugers were what was expensive at the time, like $200.00.....

I think it's even worse than your inflation calculator indicates. In the early 1960's you could go to a bank and exchange your greenback for a silver dollar. I have my parents' papers showing them taking out a credit union loan for $200; that was a lot of money back then.

Hello

That is interesting.

A little more my speed from a James Serven catalog 1949 an Officers Model rifle and two "Marksman" rifles which were actually sporting rifles.

The Officers model today run anywhere from 10k to 40k depending on model and condition

The "Marksman" sporting rifles 3k to 5k

post-12145-0-51432400-1477963118_thumb.jpg