Helmet Grouping of the "Fighting Chaplain" Michael J. O'Connor

Bugme

Thanks Erick! Time, patience and being there at the right moment are what these things are all about. Then I almost forgot to check Jeff's site on the day the catalog opened! :o

Scott, could you possibly show what kind of lapel insignia the good chaplain used on his uniform? I have a M1926 uniform from another Yankee Division officer that was originally from his WWI days and later converted to the 1926 regs. Unfortunately, it came to me with everything removed save for the patches and buttons, so I'm wondering what kind of insignia to look out for, especially the US lapel insignia (pin-back vs. early clutch-back).

Yes, thank you. I saw those before, I was wondering more about the fasteners on the back, if they were like the WWI pin-back pieces with a simple catch or if they had started using the roller-catch by the early 1930s.

Scott, that is a great grouping and the pictures added by forum members really help round out the group. I expect that someone will find a picture of him with the helmet. Thank you for sharing. Regards, CC

Yes, thank you. I saw those before, I was wondering more about the fasteners on the back, if they were like the WWI pin-back pieces with a simple catch or if they had started using the roller-catch by the early 1930s.

Sorry, I misunderstood, the crosses are simple catch and have no hallmarks.

Sorry, I misunderstood, the crosses are simple catch and have no hallmarks.

Thanks Scott. This gives me a good idea of what to look out for with my restoration project.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is two years old but I must say this is one of the most incredible groupings I have seen. Everything from the uniform, helmet, pictures the history is again...incredible...

Marty

Thanks Marty, I actually got a side by side of the period photo and the current helmet that shows this to be the same helmet. I'll see if I can find them and post here.

Thanks Marty, I resized them as best I could and of course the Division Insignia and cross were added later but, I'm thinking this is the same helmet based on the blotch that is circled.
blotch mark circled.jpgblotch mark circled 1.jpg

now thats a great ww1 group, the helmet is top of the line, great, just great

Thanks, WWI groupings are not nearly as appreciated as WWII so, it is nice having nice things said about it. :)

• 1 year later...

Gee, Marty, I never saw the photo you posted above until I came here to post this shot of Chaplain O'Conner that you found for me. Really appreciate the help here buddy.

20190819_134024.jpg

20190819_134113.jpg

Holy cow! This is probably one of the most impressive and historically significant groups I've ever seen IMO.

Thanks David, it is one of the nicest grouping I've ever had with this much provenance.

• 3 years later...