Helmet Grouping of the "Fighting Chaplain" Michael J. O'Connor

Bugme

Recently picked this grouping up from Jeff at AGM. This is one of those items I've been searching for, for quite some time, that being an attributed WWI Chaplain grouping which actually had his helmet included in the grouping. So, this one is now off the short list of "must have" helmets and I think i got a home run with this one!
This is the 1930 dated uniform, WWI painted helmet, and WWI Victory Medal from Lt. Colonel Michael J. O'Connor, who served as a Chaplain in the 101st Infantry during WWI and continued in his service to the 26th Division for many years after the Armistice. In a copy of the History of the Yankee Division, he is listed as a 1st Lieutenant and Chaplain of the 101st in the original organization of the 26th. A photocopy of excerpts from New England in France reveal that during the war he was promoted to Captain and made Divisional Chaplain.
The Holyoke, MA paper says this about him: "The Rev. Father Michael J. O'Connor was born in Ireland, July 12, 1869, and came to this country when a boy. He attended the local schools and Holy Cross College. He enlisted as a private in the 9th infantry in 1890. Later he became chaplain of the same regiment. He was ordained to the priesthood December 22, 1901, and was first assigned to the parish of St. Peter's church, Rutland, Vt. He was recalled to this diocese and became rector of St. Patrick's Church, Stoneham. In 1905 he was assigned to St. Francis de Sales' church, Roxbury, a pastorate he held when he became chaplain of the 9th in 1907, and continued to hold when he went to the Mexican border with the regiment and when he went to France with the 101st infantry. He later was made chaplain of the 26th division. Chaplain O'Connor is known as "the fighting Chaplain," and has lived up to the name."

Chap. 1.jpg
Chap 2.jpg
Chap. 4.jpg
Chap. 8.jpg
Chap. 5.jpg
Chap. 15.jpg
Chap. 14.jpg
Chap. 9.jpg
Chap. 3.jpg

Museum quality. Congratulations Scott I couldn't think of a more deserving custodian of this group. I'm glad that you have it in your collection!

Thanks everyone, this is something I've been working toward for years. I've got ID'd WWI Chaplain uniform groups and a WWI Chaplains helmet but, I've never been able to pull down a Chaplains helmet/uniform group together that was ID'd.

Troy, maybe next time. ;)

Another great Holyoke group on the forum!!

Bill

Gotta love the Irish Bill! :)

A fantastic lot, the M1926 uniform is super

While having his earlier uniform would have been nice, I believe having this one is actually more interesting.

Great looking group Scott. Is the front painted or has it been lacquered?

The texture was smoothed down on the front of the helmet only, then the insignia and cross were painted followed by a coat of shellac.

Very nice. Hardly see Chaplain groups, let alone of this quality.

Very true, while WWI and earlier Chaplain groupings are very hard to locate, the WWII, Korea and even 'nam era Chaplain groups are getting to be nearly as hard to find.

Nice group - and great helmet. I wonder when the spot varnish was applied to the painted insignia.

Actually, it is shellac and was applied to the entire helmet. However, it only looks shiny on the smooth area where the good Chaplain removed the sawdust texture and applied the insignia and cross.

Great pick up, Scott. My jaw hit the floor when I saw it in the AGM catalog, and I'm very pleased to see it in a good home. There are several photos of the chaplain included in the Pictorial History of the 26th Division. I'll try to go through it and post a few of them if I can find the time over the next few days.

Great pick up, Scott. My jaw hit the floor when I saw it in the AGM catalog, and I'm very pleased to see it in a good home. There are several photos of the chaplain included in the Pictorial History of the 26th Division. I'll try to go through it and post a few of them if I can find the time over the next few days.

That would be wonderful! I've got the book: "With the Yankee Division in France" which is where the photo of him that is posted came from. However, I do not have the "Pictorial History of the 26th Division".

Found this photo of the Chaplain O'Connor from the book: Sky Pilots, The Yankee Division Chaplains of WWI. It also states that he was wounded, gassed and served communion to troops during combat.

Chaplain O'Connor.jpg

Here are a couple of the photos that actually show him wearing a helmet, which I assume is the same one in the grouping. My phone / computer combo is being funky right now after a software update, but I'll try to upload a few more.

Scott, if you would like, shoot me a PM with your email and I'll try to scan them so you can print out some decent quality copies.

post-112103-0-60844300-1475271638_thumb.jpg

post-112103-0-10695100-1475271680_thumb.jpg

jguy1986, thank you so much for posting these photo's! I would like to think that the helmet in the photo is the same one that came from his estate and very likely is the same one but, that 100% confirmation is lost to history. whatever the case, these are awesome! Thanks!!!!!