USAAF M1/M2 Flak Vest

jonesy1275

American made USAAF M1/M2 flak vest manufactured by Southern Garment Co. The American made version differs slightly to the initial batch contracted to the British company, Wilkinson but the general idea is the same. This flak vest is only armoured in the front as it was assumed that aircrew would be sitting in armoured seats. I believe there are American made M1/M2 Flak Vests out there with armoured backs. My Brit made one is armoured on the front and rear and is obviously a lot heavier.

An additional flak apron could be attached to the front covering the groin area. If anybody knows of either a M3, M4 or M5 flak apron, please get in contact with me.

As a collector of Airborne Troop Carrier material, all the original Troop Carrier photographs I have seen, it is the M1 flak vest that is worn. I guess the British made examples where only 730 were manufactured, went to the bomber crews of the 8th AAF.

The helmet is a M3 Flak Helmet.

Thanks,

Neil.

post-72146-0-58952000-1474733351_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I've been hearing that.

An M5 apron would be my least preferred apron as I can't find any photographic record of Troop Carrier crews wearing it.