Wwi USMC 2nd Reg uniform

Hello all

Did anyone see the wwi uniform listed on eBay (item 131936422911)? I saw it before it ended, but didn't know enough about it so bid low. It sold for $130. Was that an authentic patch and a good jacket? Did I make a mistake?

post-151439-0-81173300-1474249435_thumb.jpeg

Always looking for boxed or named pre WWII campaign medals, boxed navy medals and a DSC lapel pin.

I saw this when it was originally listed as a Marine tunic. I wrote the seller correcting him and didn't watch it after that. Patch looks good to me. 1st battalion 23 rd infantry. That is a low price. Should have gone at least a hundred more. I can't see the collar discs, if there is a 23rd on it, even better. Kevin

I am eagerly collecting Pre-WWII USMC material. Any Marine Corps Span Am era, WWI, Banana Wars, or China Marine related material is especially sought after.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2019.gif

Jeff, I am afraid I have to disagree with you. There is a thread under patches that show dozens of second division WWI styles and types, and this thread has numerous examples of this patch. This is the most common "style" of second division patches. I have several Marine uniforms with this style, and I see no issues with this one. The facial features, embroidery, headdress, etc are all spot on. The biggest risk with these is that the original star/Indianhead has been sold as singles over the years so that someone could "re-sew" this onto a velvet background. I see no obvious evidence of that with this one. I still think this is probably a good uniform (and patch) that sold well under market. Kevin

I am eagerly collecting Pre-WWII USMC material. Any Marine Corps Span Am era, WWI, Banana Wars, or China Marine related material is especially sought after.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2019.gif

Sure the style is very common, but I respectfully disagree, I do not think that the patch itself is an original. It is a current reproduction indian head sewn onto a felt back ground and then sewn to what appears to be a real uniform. I am pretty sure I have seen some of these indian heads on Ebay lately. Also, I think it would have sold higher if it were real. Anyway, If you really want to find other expert opinions, go ahead and post this in the patch section and you will get several replies. If you look at the article on WWI 2nd division patches, in the patch section, it will show numerous pictures of real indian heads of this style. I just truly think it is repro and I do not want to see any collectors wasting money. Respectfully Jeff