Unknown Cloth and Leather Flight Helmets

militbuff

Does anyone know if these are military issue flight helmets. I bought these yesterday from the widow of a man who was in the air scouts during WWII, then in the AAF at the end of the war and then served in the Civil Air Patrol in the 1950s and 1960s.

My guess is that the helmets date from his time in the CAP but there are no tags in either of the helmets. Does anyone have any idea if these are US military issue or definitely not US military issue.

Best, Dan

post-1945-0-74608800-1474234201_thumb.jpeg

post-1945-0-14976300-1474234225_thumb.jpeg

militbuff,

Do you know what the gentleman's occupation was? The first item in question is a liner for a hard hat, or welder's helmet (will work in either one) and is neither military, nor a flying helmet. The second is not military, but I am unsure what it was used for.

Regards, Paul

I agree the cloth is a hard hat liner

The second is a skull cap for riding motorcycle or commecial flying helmet styled after a military cap.Buco,Schott and other leather companies made them

Hi Paul,

That's very interesting. I don't think he was in construction. However, his wife said their son served in the army engineer corps in Vietnam. I don't know what he did but perhaps he wore a hard hat with the liner underneath.

Hi Doyler, my guess re the leather helmet is that the man wore it since he flew a Cessna in the CAP. On one side, you can see what looks like an indentation perhaps from a microphone.

Many thanks to both of you. Dan

• 3 weeks later...