WW1 301st Tank Bn. Camo. Just could not resist it.

Eric Queen

WW1 tank units are out of my area but fell in love with this piece when I saw it. Neat piece to a real combat unit and 100% original (in my opinion from the photos). Thought I would post for those who did not see it.

301 a.jpg

I like it, and would have gone hard after it if I'd had the funds. The 301st used this as more or less a standard design, and this one is nearly identical to one that was in the last AGM catalog.

I like it, and would have gone hard after it if I'd had the funds. The 301st used this as more or less a standard design, and this one is nearly identical to one that was in the last AGM catalog.

Is it possibly the same one? Some things have a habit of jumping from the AGM catalog to eBay within a couple weeks.

Is it possibly the same one? Some things have a habit of jumping from the AGM catalog to eBay within a couple weeks.

It could be. That thought crossed my mind too.

If it was, I feel kinda bad for the seller. He would have really taken a bath, since it was somewhere in the $600-700 range at AGM and sold on ebay for $435-ish.

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate it. I did not see the one on AGM but have a gut feeling it may not be the same one. Did anyone save a photo of it?

Here is the interior. One side of the chinstrap broke off but seems to be complete other than that.

There were three (3) men with the 301'st with last names beginning in K. Killingen, Kohr and Kusener. Unfortunately I do not have their first names.

301 c.jpg

I wonder if this could be E.K. There were so few guys in this unit I think it could be possible.

Kusener, Ernest F.

Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army

301st Battalion, Tank Corps, A.E.F.

Date of Action: September 29, 1918

Citation:

The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Ernest F. Kusener, Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Ronssoy, France, September 29, 1918. After his tank had been put out of action and set on fire by a direct hit which killed our of the crew, Lieutenant Kusener, utterly disregarding his own personal danger, entered the blazing tank which was still being fired on and dragged the remainder of the crew to safety. Displaying exceptional coolness and bravery he then carried two members of the crew, who had been seriously wounded, to a dressing station, the two trips being made over ground swept by heavy machine-gun fire.

General Orders No. No. 2, W.D., 1932

Home Town: Gary, IN

Thanks. I cannot say for sure at this point that this is him but with only three guys with last names beginning with K there is a pretty good chance.

Will need to find out the first names of the other two.

I stared at that helmet for days. It was hard to do, but I gouged out my eyes to deliver myself from temptation to focus on other things, like the rare Wilmer Earshields.

• 11 months later...

Hey Eric,

I just now saw this thread- did you have any more luck with the research! Great helmet with lots of history! Thanks for sharing it!

David