I found a completely packet parachute from 1954.

Learo2000GT

I am almost certain that the parachute assembly is a USAF BA-15 (Back Automatic parachute assy.) The F-1B

is an automatic ripcord release which is an automatic parachute opener that is wound-up with a special key

(remove the top cover first) and can be set to open at an altitude set by the parachute rigger. The red

or orange knob is pulled out of the cable housing to activate the opener when the parachute descends to the

set altitude. Then, the cable at the other end (which is routed around the upper manual ripcord pin) pulls

the manual ripcord pins from the parachute locking loops to open up the parachute flaps. If the F-1B unit

is armed, you may not want to pull out the red or orange colored knob from the cable housing. At least

do not hold onto the cable at the other end while you pull out the red or orange knob because the cable

will quickly be pulled through the cable housing and into the body of the unit. Also, what CLASS number

is the F-1B unit? Such as F-1B Class 2, etc. The F-1B unit was used along with and eventually replaced

by cartridge fired automatic ripcord releases. Be careful with them also, especially if there is a live

cartridge in there and the unit is armed. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. I will be careful with that cartridge. The more I hear about it he more intreged I am with the parachute. I was reading somewhere there may be a card in it someplace to identify the jump dates or somthing. Any other pictures that would help with identification. I really want to learn as much as I can about it being it was my wife's grandpas and we have no idea in hell where he got it or why he had it. Like I said previously he was on a bomber before D day and after the war enjoyed aviation. We live by a big USAF base and I am thinking one of his buddies gave it o him being from what I am hearing this parachute isn't set up in case of a civilian plan going down.

Another cool thing we wound was a big silk scarf that they used to paint the nose art on his plane. Don't imagine many of those survived. My wife's mom has it and I am trying to talk her into investigation the unit and returning it to some affiliation with the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northcoastaero

The parachute log book should be located in a sewn pocket on the front of the parachute harness near the

top right side (when wearing the harness). The top of the square-shaped back pad may cover the log book

pocket if the back pad is installed/snapped to the harness. Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
Learo2000GT

I Habe realised that I don't want to sell this on eBay bexouse who knows where it will end up. I don't have 30 post so can't list it for sale. Not even sure what it's worth. Seem similar items from a couple hundred to 1000. But I would like it it to goto some one that would appreciate it for what it is and that would be you guys. Is there anymore info I can provide you guys on it. I will be paying attention to the post. All I ask is that u offer me a fair price and not looking to make top dollar on it. Not sure if this post is even allowed. But if interested in more info let me know or want to make an offer. I can be reached via phone at 253-389-3488. Thanks Doug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk