Named Ashtray to Original UDT: Operation Torch

Greetings,

I have really been beating the bushes lately and was lucky enough to find this brass ashtray. Now it didn't and doesn't look like much at first glance but that all changed after getting home and doing some research. That is when this became more than an ashtray!

My cursory research has discovered that Lt. M. W. S..t..a..r..k..w..e..a..t..h..e..r.. is mentioned in several Seal related books to include. Naked Warriors (CDR Francis D Fane and Don Moore), First Seal (By Roy Boehm) and Goalpost (by Robert Prokop).

Now I know that some my not find an ashtray as glamorous as medals, uniforms, dog tags, etc but one can not deny that this was used on a regular basis by him and one can imaging the Lt and others sitting at a table in a smoked filled room maybe planning their actions for their part in Operation Torch! Imagine the stories this ashtray has.

I have, for education purposes included scans documenting his award of the Navy Cross and two pages from "Naked Warrior?

post-5028-0-90393900-1474055133_thumb.jpg

post-5028-0-51632800-1474055213_thumb.jpg

Dick,

Thanks for reading and submitting a post. Yes, you just never know what one may discover especially with something that may have not been given a second look. I'm going to make contact with the Naval Seal museum in Ft Pierce to see if they may have any additional information or maybe a photo of him.

Mark

• 3 years later...