Interesting A-9A Gloves

aviationphotog

aviationphotog

Picked this pair of AAF A-9A gloves on ebay a few days ago, I've not seen gloves with the (what appears to be) same style horsehide patch like B-3 jackets have. At first, I thought it might be some custom made variation, but it appears to be rather professionally done. Anyone seen gloves like this before?
A9AGloves-01.jpg

A9AGloves-02.jpg

A9AGloves-03.jpg

A9AGloves-04.jpg

A9AGloves-05.jpg

A9AGloves-06.jpg

Interesting indeed , as you say ,the modification looks very well done . Could it have been done post war ? Or by a "rigger" ?

the mod would make sense to fit over the B-3 sleeves...or any jacket for that matter...as far as when...well who can tell...the leather look period, or at least not fresh/modern...I like em...

Looks like they both had the eyelets installed or were present from the donor leather material...only thing coming to mind is the underarm area of the A-2, that would have the eyelets...but the leather could have come from anywhere..

aviationphotog

Interesting indeed , as you say ,the modification looks very well done . Could it have been done post war ? Or by a "rigger" ?

Anything is possible, but the thread seems to match the thread used on the A-9A itself. There was no background behind the gloves, or who had them. But I feel it's a wartime modification.

the mod would make sense to fit over the B-3 sleeves...or any jacket for that matter...as far as when...well who can tell...the leather look period, or at least not fresh/modern...I like em...

Looks like they both had the eyelets installed or were present from the donor leather material...only thing coming to mind is the underarm area of the A-2, that would have the eyelets...but the leather could have come from anywhere..

It could be, I have a heck of a time getting the other pair I have over the B-3 and mannequin hands, so it makes sense. If it was more hasily done, I wouldn't have thought anything other than that... but because it's the same type/color of thread holding the overall A-9A together and so nicely done (looks machined), it's just interesting! We'll just have to chalk it up to a unique variation. I've not heard of the Lexette Glove Corp, would love to see another one from that company and compare.

Interesting theory on the A-2 underarm! I'll have to take a look at my A-2 and see if anything matches up, but you're right that it could've come from anywhere. I'm also curious if the eyelets served a purpose (perhaps hanging the A-9s?) or were, as you mentioned, just there because it was on the donor leather pieces.