ALICE pack frame colors.

pawtwo

Hello,

Can anyone give me an information on how ALICE pack frame changed from introduction till the end of production?

I've read C.A. Monroe and Craig Pickrall's book but this book ends in 1991.

Unfortunatelly there is only US and manufacturer stamped on the frame and ink stamped lot number. Usually these packs are put together from various parts from different periods. You cannot tell what year frame was in fact made.

Most important for me is what kind and colour of finish was used in which years. I know that some frames are black, green, dark gray or light gray. They have semigloss or flat paint and some are anodized.

I have dark gray semigloss painted frame - would it be propper as 1980s frame? It came with 77-79 type medium pack (with spring non slip buckles on main closure and standard non slip buckles at the pockets), 1983 contract shoulder straps and 1981 contract wider waist pad. All markings on main pack are worn out, and I can only see a slight shade of US stamp on top flap so It's my assumption that it's 77-79. Inside pack there was an older style waist pad but there wasn't old type narrow waist strap.

What's funny my pack came with two left shoulder staps but one is sewn so badly that it appears to be straight or even more right than left so you can use it on both sides. I had to change lower portions of shoulder straps because these for sure weren't original and were much shorter than they should be.

Also - does in late 70s/early 80s there were made in US surplus market ALICE packs? While my pack doesn't have any markings that I can read I was wondering if it's even military made. All materials feels to be good. It has green fastex brand fastener on main closure cord and "P" marked non slip buckles. For sure it was quite well used - probably without a frame. I think that it's good because I dont see any reason why anybody would made a copy of this pack with a mix of standard and spring non slip buckles - these were made only from '77 to '79.

In a few days I'll have another pack one that has any markings - nice condition made '76 contract and another set of 1980s shoulder straps (left and right fortunatelly).

post-162935-0-46812600-1474024040.jpg

These are probably the newest. I've seen these. They don't have that black plastic "washer" inside the hole were you attach lower portion of the shoulder strap. I consider these frames as latest frames.