Sterling W.A.S.P wings, Sterling Fifi & ATC Pin (Clutchback)

TheSterlingMagpie

TheSterlingMagpie

Hi All :)

Long time reader (self confessed lurker) 1st time poster (only signed up today!)

I am not very good with Militaria items - even though I get them quite a bit in my line of work (hence the lurking and reading!)

I have a pair of original WWII Wasp Wings signed Josten, has original clutchbacks too - They are full size - Along with a sterling & enamel Fifinella pin / brooch and a ATC Clutchback Enamel pin - All from the same estate - They were stuck in a bag for the longest time and I have only just found them again.

I was wondering if anyone knows any information and value? - Between Ebay, Worthpoint and Military sites it varies a LOT. I did try and post on an Ebay board, before I bothered you guys but no real information came back from that.

Many many thanks!post-163667-0-93682200-1473989311.jpgpost-163667-0-23521400-1473989319.jpgpost-163667-0-28757000-1473989587_thumb.jpgpost-163667-0-87790300-1473989599_thumb.jpg

The ATC looks newer.I'm not an expert on wings but they look good with the shorter pins. I would think at least $200. The Fifinella pin is beautiful.I have never seen one of those before. I would think $150, probably more. To bad you don't have a name to go with the group.

TheSterlingMagpie

Many thanks for that information - The Fifi pin is marked Sterling along with a makers mark SB (not in an oval)

will post a hi res picture when I get home from work today.

I am still hoping to come across some paperwork on whom this grouping belonged to - I kinda squirrel military stuff away as I feel guilty about selling it... I know I am weired!

If those are real WWII issue wings you are looking at well over $1000 in value and probably a couple thousand. I am not an expert to say whether these are real or not, I have just discussed WASP wings with a friend that has several of them and those values came from that discussion. Clear, higher resolution photos will let the experts on the forum weigh in on if these are real or not.

Marty

YES INDEED--- REAL WASP WINGS ARE UP THERE. THEY CAN GET UP TO 2000.00. I HAVE ONE AND IT COST.

Holy Smokes!!!! WoW! I never realized they shot up that much. I guess I was wayyyyy off.

Welcome to the forum (even if you have been lurking for some time)

Since there were only about 1000 WASPs, these are pretty rare wings, all things considered. The ATC DUI is common, the Fifinella pin is also very rare. Nothing in your post makes me think you have anything other than a really nice vintage set of items. Very nice and thanks for sharing

If you had a name to go with the grouping, I think north of $2000 wouldn't be that crazy. Still, with these type of rare items, you never know. You may be getting some PM very soon....

P

Garth Thompson

I showed your post to a very good friend of mine who specializes in WASP material. He valued the wing at $1800. While quite scarce he valued the pin at $500 due to the very large amount of reproductions flogged on ebay regularly which degrade the value.

TheSterlingMagpie

post-163667-0-36198900-1474083266.jpgpost-163667-0-36198900-1474083266.jpgpost-163667-0-80676700-1474083280_thumb.jpgOh my goodness - I am floored! Thank you guys so much :) I really do appreciate it!

After reading your posts I set about taking new pictures, got side tracked reading articles about the WASPS in old newspapers before I knew it? 11pm had come around.

Here are some more photo's - sorry they are a little dark but I lost track of time!

The Mark on the Fifinella after giving it a little clean is either Sb (small B) or SL

I have a higher res but cannot post in individual messages as right now I am restricted due to being a newbie to only one more post after this one.

P.s

I have over 350,000 files, original ads, patents for costume & sweetheart jewelry 1900 -1965... If anyone ever needs any help with that kinda stuff I am that lady!

post-163667-0-21245900-1474083288_thumb.jpg

post-163667-0-07638800-1474083301_thumb.jpg

I am sure that a lot of people are holding back comments that you should not have cleaned them as it hurt their value. To what extent, I am not sure as I only collect patches. Still rare items.

That is good. The front of the WASP wings looked cleaned too by the photo that you posted.

This is a museum quality collection here with the wings and fifinella pin.

TheSterlingMagpie

That is good. The front of the WASP wings looked cleaned too by the photo that you posted.

This is a museum quality collection here with the wings and fifinella pin.

I am just a bad photographer!!!

TheSterlingMagpie

I really do thank everyone for their help, It is much appreciated.

The numbers have taken me back a bit - I did not realize they were so valuable - I guess I will squirrel them away again.

The insight to their history has really opened my eyes, and I thank you all very much for that!

Even though I have sold items in the past - between feeling guilty & being burned - has not made a good combination.

The right forever home will come along - I am sure of it!

Frankly, I think it would make NO DIFFERENCE at all, what so ever, to the value of these items if they were polished or not. Short of putting them on a grinding wheel and buffing out the details, they are so rare and so sought after, that collectors will pay for them no matter what.

I've been collecting wings for a long time and I have yet to see the value of a wing be affected by its state of polish. Some collectors like the age patina, some don't, but it really doesn't hurt the value either way. Wings are not like coins, where polishing them hurts the value.

Frankly, I think it would make NO DIFFERENCE at all, what so ever, to the value of these items if they were polished or not. Short of putting them on a grinding wheel and buffing out the details, they are so rare and so sought after, that collectors will pay for them no matter what.

I've been collecting wings for a long time and I have yet to see the value of a wing be affected by its state of polish. Some collectors like the age patina, some don't, but it really doesn't hurt the value either way. Wings are not like coins, where polishing them hurts the value.

Patrick,

Well said and very, very true.

Chris

Great group of items. The valuation of the wing is appropriate as that is around what they usually sell for. I am however surprised at the valuation of the Fifi pin. This is a real one and I understand that there are many reproductions, but they are very rare and hard to find. I haven't seen one for sale. I know speaking for myself, I would be happy to pay over the $500. Who knows, maybe I am off base. I would think a WASP collector given the chance to buy a real pin like this one, would be leaping at a opportunity. Holding on to them is probably a smart move as rare items like these, only increase in value.

Great items again, and thanks for sharing them here.

JD

TheSterlingMagpie

That is a sweet little set.Please don't "squirrel it away"! Put those beautiful pieces in a shadowbox and display them!

A shadow box is a great idea :)

However after thinking about it all weekend and talking with my daughter - she convinced me that putting them in a drawer and because I am too wary (and guilty!) to sell them is silly - and that it was ok if I wanted to do that because I wanted them to keep forever..... So I decided to keep Fifinella - She has her forever home with me :)

I am not a military collector - I am a jewelry appraiser and historian and have been for 25 years.... Military insignia if it is not sweetheart is out of my scope - That is why I turned to you guys - The experts!

Thanks again for all your help!

A shadow box is a great idea :)

However after thinking about it all weekend and talking with my daughter - she convinced me that putting them in a drawer and because I am too wary (and guilty!) to sell them is silly - and that it was ok if I wanted to do that because I wanted them to keep forever..... So I decided to keep Fifinella - She has her forever home with me :)

I know I might get flamed for splitting up the set that originated together, but I am not a military collector - I am a jewelry appraiser and historian and have been for 25 years.... Military insignia if it is not sweetheart is out of my scope - That is why I turned to you guys - The experts!

Thanks again for all your help!

Don't feel guilty. Yes the ideal situation would be to keep them together but they are not attributed to anyone pilot.Plus they are yours to do what ever you want.

This is absolutely correct.... Clean/Don't Clean...IT IS THE REAL THING and cannot be questioned after seeing and comparing to my set.

I clean ALL my wings as I believe I should keep them as the pilot who would wear them would have the wing kept for presentation before those who would know and respect the meaning and history behind it. So Miss Magpie, do NOT fret about cleaning those wings. :)

• 10 months later...

Hi, Can anyone comment on what the Fifi pin is? Sweetheart pin? Official or unofficial DI? They seem to be pretty rare and i am wondering what they actually are.