NC/DSC "Top" John S. McNulty 77th Co. Archive USMC

nchistory

"Top" John S. McNulty 77th Co. Archive.

NC/DSC Last month, there was a tag sale in the affluent neighborhood of Coronado Cays, San Diego, CA in the home of the widow, of the late Major John Sebastian McNulty Jr USMC, and I was fortunate enough to secure a trunk which contained the archives of his father, Major John S. McNulty Sr., one of the many heroes of the 4th Brigade. This archive spans from 1908-61.

Just when you thought there was nothing still out there...

1st Sgt. John S. McNulty 77th MG Co ©. 6th Machine Gun Battalion (USMC)

McNultys medal awards were:

I. Navy Cross

2. Distinguished Service Cross #545

3. Silver Star

4. Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster

5. Marine Good Conduct Medal #4723 with bar

6. Army Philippine Campaign #?

7. Nicaraguan Campaign Medal #?

8. Mexican Service Medal #?

9. World War I Victory Medal with 5 clasps and 2 silver stars

i0.World War I Occupation Medal

Ii.American Defense Service Medal

12.American Campaign Medal

13.World War Two Victory Medal

14.Croix de Guerre with silver star

I5.Verdun Medal (upon application to Americans serving in sector)

16. Holyoke, Massachusetts World World War I Service Medal (never claimed)

post-153086-0-64903800-1473898418.jpg

post-153086-0-71360900-1473898451.jpg

Pete, sorry no medals, although I have certificates and letters for most of his medals, the heavy hitters. I understand some medals were sold day prior by "some Marines", I have no idea what they got. Only reason nobody saw this, the box was sitting in garage with gardening equipment and water hoses, and a big bag on top of it, completely missed the day before.

I Just love groups like this! They are like a time capsule that bring the Marine or soldier or sailor and his experiences back to life! You are truly able to fully illustrate his history just as the Great War Centennial for the US is about to take off- we hope!! Thanks for sharing this really cool stuff! I have collected trunk groups like this for years, and usually they include the stuff- uniforms, helmets, souvenirs , and every kind of gear imaginable, but this one is focused on the paper and pictures! Having been found in the garage, it was probably headed next to the garbage, unless someone found it like they did, on the edge of the abyss!! Way to go!

David

I love paperwork and that group is amazing!

One of my friends ended up with the DSC # 545 that came from this sale . I will let him know about this.

Kurt

Yes Kurt, I'd love to see the DSC. Any other medals picked up that you know of? I understood medals were sold on day 1, but don't know if they were McNulty or McNulty Jr's.

Yes Kurt, I'd love to see the DSC. Any other medals picked up that you know of? I understood medals were sold on day 1, but don't know if they were McNulty or McNulty Jr's.

I let him know.

The DSC is the only medal I have heard surfaced, but I do know more were sold,

Kurt

This is an impressive grouping. It's already been said, but I also love these large paper groups. I never cared for or collected paperwork much, but I ran across a similarly extensive grouping myself for two WWI Marines (one also a DSC and NC recipient) about a year and a half ago. It has literally changed my life, and no grouping or find ever before has had such an impact on me. I hope this group brings you as much fulfillment.

The citation you have depicted in post #11, is the second type DSC citation. As indicated on the document, it was issued in 1926 (mine has a 1925 date on it). There was an earlier AEF citation with graphics that looks similar to the citation you have posted in #15. These were issued during or shortly after the war (mine is dated December 1918). Have you seen that one? You might try to determine if that document (version) was sold earlier as well-it would make sense it would have been in this grouping. Congratulations again and thanks for sharing this wonderful find. Kevin

That's good information Kevin, wasn't aware there were two issues of the DSC document. I also have a letter Jan 1919 signed by Capt. Edward L. Burwell Jr, USMC recommending McNulty for DSC, Also another letter dated February 1, 1926 enclosing his DSC certificate.

Maybe he didn't receive the 1st issue (Dec 1918), as he was recommended in 1919? Even reading the history of the 6th MGB (1919), It only list his awards as a CDG.

He was presented with his DSC @ Navy Yard Dec. 1, 1920.

There you go, with the later date, I doubt he received the AEF version of the citation. Once again, just a beautiful group.

Here is a picture of McNulty taken June 2, 1918 while the 77th was dug in in the vicinity of Triangle Farm along the Bois de Clerembauts. The day before the machine guns of the 77th and 81st Companies of the 6th Machine Gun Battalion as well as the French 214th and 356th Infantry engaged and overwhelmingly repulsed an advance toward the Paris Metz road by four companies of the 3rd Battalion 398th German Infantry. This is one of only a few known photos actually taken during the battle of Belleau Wood. I have some great accounts about McNulty including one Marine who recalled McNulty "bawling us out for not having dug the guns in somewhat and not having made shallow slip trenches for our own protection. This we proceeded to do throughout the day."

post-2182-0-47806000-1474085759.jpg