Fishing Lure Patch: 6th Antisubmarine Squadron

HOF

I have seen this patch called the "393rd Bomb Squadron, 509th Composite Group" and/or the "6th Antisubmarine Squadron." Does anyone know what it is and is it a WWII era patch? Thanks!

post-151977-0-46438000-1473881924_thumb.jpg

I had a large grouping a few years ago from a local veteran that was a pilot in this squadron. It included a few loose patches and one on the A2 jacket. He flew a alot along the east coast of the US and all of his paperwork etc. indicated 6th anti submarine. I have also seen reference of this patch as a bomb squadron, but my grouping was definitely 6th anti submarine.

This unit was originally designated as the 393dBombSqdn but later redesignated the 6thAntisubSqdn.

Emblem approved by the Heraldic Section 25 Sep 1942.

I had a large grouping a few years ago from a local veteran that was a pilot in this squadron. It included a few loose patches and one on the A2 jacket. He flew a alot along the east coast of the US and all of his paperwork etc. indicated 6th anti submarine. I have also seen reference of this patch as a bomb squadron, but my grouping was definitely 6th anti submarine.

I owned this grouping (it included multiple copies of this patch) at one time and still had my notes from my internet research. The pilot was definitely in the 6th Anti-Sub group in April of 1943 in Newfoundland and in August of 43 in England. There was a station designation included on his immunization record that allow to track him from station to station, if I recall correctly. By October - November of 43, he flew 5 missions with the 392nd Bomb Squadron according to their website.

Is the alternate identity really the 392nd BS instead of the 393rd? Just throwing it out there... 6th rump squadron was flying B-24s operating in the Atlantic, 393rd was a B-29 unit.

The original 393dBombSqdn(M) operated with B-18, B-25 and A-29 medium bombers.

As the 6thAntisub the squadron operated with the B-24, and was eventually inactivated on 11 Nov 1943.

The 393dBombSqdn(VH) was constituted 28 Feb 1944 operating with the B-29, but to the best of my knowledge this latter unit does

not share any lineage with the original 393dBombSqd(M).